Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Infection on leg?

xlitton

Reaction score
Hi, my girlfriend and I keep 2 axolotls, we've had them for just over a month now. We noticed one last night has a rather swollen looking front left leg, to which upon closer inspection, there appears to be a small cut.

Last I saw it (Yesterday night) it was swollen from the elbow down, and it appears the toes had started changing colour. Update from my grilfriend she has told me that it now appears to be the whole leg, that the toes are deteriorating, and there are cuts visible on the leg.

To make it worse the poor guy is only just regrowing his other front leg. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
See below for a picture.

Thank you.

391668_10150522928999502_530569501_11293936_1245969378_n.jpg

Hillsy's sore leg.

Last edited:

lea

Reaction score
Keep the tank clean and cool. Watch out for fungus and treat with salt baths if needed. They are very good at regrowing limbs. If it is an infection you will need to get antibotic from a vet.

xlitton

Reaction score
Thank you. How will I know if salt bathing is needed?
I have read up a bit on salt bathing and they recommend fridging whilst doing this, would this be essential?
I will try and get pictures up, I have some, just need to get them off my phone.

lea

Reaction score
If you see something that looks like cottonwool on the leg, then it is time to start saltbaths. I would only do it if you can see fungus.
I dont think you really have to fridge if the case is minor and your tank conditions and temps are perfect. It does help slow down the spread of it tho(from what I understand).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1