Why is my axi growing lumps?

axolotl141

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
michael
well to start off with my axolotl had a small lump and i just noticed that it was getting biger over 9 or soo months and it has gained two more on its right leg what is happening? im really worried...

hope these help

Attachments

• P1010566.jpg
    P1010566.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 228
  • P1010567.jpg
    P1010567.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 199
Your axolotl doesn't look very well and has lost a lot of weight since it appeared in your avatar. I'm afraid I've no idea what the lumps might be. Is your axolotl still eating ok and what is the quality of your tank water like? I'd be tempted to keep it in a smaller container with plenty of fresh water changes and keep it in a cool dark spot. Feed it well and see how it gets on. Good luck.

Regards Neil

no thats my first axi "happy" the one im having trouble with is my new one its been off its food for a day now i put it in the fridge for afew hours and dont worry about the gravel in the avatar photo its gone and the water quality is neutral in ph test and not acid i give it water changes when i can and when i remember i have recently put new plants in and it had abit of food earlier ago around 2 hours probably

You need to test for more than just PH, You need to test for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. PH is the least important.

As you've been told many times on this forum you are going to kept doing problems as long as you are just doing water changes 'when you can'

You NEED A regular water change cycle. 25% once a week is what I do. As long as you are just doing them 'whenever you can' and not having a routine you are going to continue having problems.

I know you say you are only 13 and can't do water changes, but I tell you now, I had A LOT more time when I was 13 than I do now, even with homework and social activity. And I still manage to fit in water changes for 4 tanks once a week. If you have the animals you NEED to fit in the water changes. That's all there is too it

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I've seen you post so many threads with problems, and in all of them you've said that you don't do regular water changes, that you don't have time, that you do it when you can. And you've always been told that isn't good enough. You need to get a routine of regular changes if you want to keep your animal healthy

Last edited:
i know that i need other testing kits and there pretty expensive apparently and i cant work wich i have been trying to get job

I got a Master Test Kit for $35. They last AGES. It seems expensive but with how long they last it's a small investment. Why not ask your parents if you can do extra chores for extra money to be able to buy one? Or ask your neighbours if they need anything doing for a small fee?

I think the vet needs to check out these lumps, I am pretty sure it is not something you can treat.
What do you feed your axolotl?

i feed it frozen blood worms last ones i fed worms but i didnt want to take chances with these ones because i didnt know what they had eaten so i went onto frozen blood worms but im thinking of getting them some worms from a worm farm so there all natural no pestisides because i know they LOVE worms :D but im not the ritchest of families were only getting a small amount of child support from our father :( and my mum has a heart condition and she cant work :( and my father doesnt like to pay me much and im also elergic to cats and he has one do you catch my drift about what im saying?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back