Help ! what can i feed newly hatched axolotls !!

Slash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help me please !!!!!!!!!!! my new axolotls have laid eggs which have now hatched !!:rofl: i have grown some on successfully about 5 years ago but only about 5 survived out of about 40 eggs. i have placed the eggs and hatched larvae in a separate tank using some old tank water and have placed some daphnia in with them. i am in the process of hatching out some brine shrimp as well.
do the larvae need any filtration or gentle aeration ?sorry for all the questions but am starting to panic !!!!!!!!!!:eek: i live in the northants area so any help locally would also be great !! thanks :happy:

No filtration or aeration is needed on the young larvae. I just keep them in Chinese takeaway containers and do a full water change, with dechlorinated water, every day or two. You seem to know what you're doing with the Daphnia and Brine shrimps so just relax and enjoy the adventure. If you run into any problems just ask again.

Regards Neil

hi, neil thanks for that ! i remember last time quite a few succumbed to fungus, is there anything i can do to stop this ? also the parents had laid some spawn onto a moss ball in their tank , i have put this in the larvae/spawn tank. is it ok to leave it in there with them or should i remove it ? sorry to ask so many questions , it's just that i'd like to do a better job this time round !:D
thanks !

Regular water changes will help to reduce fungus but larvae waste and dead brine shrimp quickly fouls water so make sure you keep on top of it. The moss ball can be kept where ever you like but if you keep it with the parents they will probably eat the eggs. You can always remove it when the larvae hatch if you keep it somewhere else.

Regards Neil

When feeding brine shrimp i clean the tank twice a day because they die and foul the water , with daphnia just the once is necessary. I personally would stick with daphnia but any culture gets consumed very fast even with a small number of axolotls so you are probally best to use both.

Hi, hope someone can help me please !!!!!!!!!!! my new axolotls have laid eggs which have now hatched !!:rofl: i have grown some on successfully about 5 years ago but only about 5 survived out of about 40 eggs. i have placed the eggs and hatched larvae in a separate tank using some old tank water and have placed some daphnia in with them. i am in the process of hatching out some brine shrimp as well.
do the larvae need any filtration or gentle aeration ?sorry for all the questions but am starting to panic !!!!!!!!!!:eek: i live in the northants area so any help locally would also be great !! thanks :happy:
We normally feed our young hatched brine shrimp daphnia or microworms...as we have all 3 on hand at all times we choose to mix it up and use all 3
microworms are the easiest to culture at home and require little effort and brine shrimp being the most time consuming...
hope this helps

hi, thanks for the advice ! i have heard of rearing the larvae in a tea solution ??????????? is this right or have i misunderstood:confused: ?!!! sorry again for the questions its just i'd like to do my best for them:D

hi, once again thanks for all the help !the baby axolotls appear to be doing well ! they are just over a week old and seem to be eating the daphnia that is in their tank.
however...... i am doing daily water changes and i worry that when i do this i loose lots of mouth sized baby daphnia. can someone put my mind at rest ....... please !:eek:p
thanks slash:D

How much water are you changing daily? If you are only feeding Daphnia then you could reduce the water changes as they will stay alive until eaten. If you carefully adjust how much Daphnia you are adding to the tank then the axolotls should eat most up before it's time to change the water.

Regards Neil

hi neil , thanks for the help ! have posted on a new thread the problem i have now got which is fungus on the axolotls. would a salt solution in the water help ? if so how much in how much water ? sorry to bother you but just trying to do my best.;) many thanks lyn

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back