Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl won't stop swimming laps

bronwyn08

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought a new axolotl, and it's been a few years since I owned one.
At the pet shop he was really quiet, just lying at the bottom of the tank but when the employee bagged him, he was really quite violent.
Since I brought him home around two days ago, he hasn't eaten anything and continually swims laps around the tank, I haven't seen him settle yet.

I'm quite worried about him and unsure what to do..
Any help would be really appreciated.

Bronwyn

Mandy6

Reaction score
He may be stressed from the move.

What were the conditions he was kept in at the pet shop?
What food have you been offering him?

iSuzie

Reaction score
A few more questions for you, this will help everyone figure out what's going on. :)

Temp?

Substrate in your tank and substrate that was in the tank at the pet store?

Cycled or not cycled tank?

Ph level he was in at pet shop and ph level of your current tank?

Did you float his bag on the top of the tank to let the temp adjust?

And is it possible the ph levels could of been different from the pet store to your tank?

Female or male axie?

And last question lol.. Size of him or her? :)

bronwyn08

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help, he has stopped swimming laps now and he has eaten a bit.
At the pet shop they had some small gravel there and when I tried to feed him a few days ago, some came out of his mouth. Once that happened he settled down and seems quite happy now :)

I'm still having trouble feeding him the pellets, so I've been feeding him shrimp. The pellets they sold me are really tiny so I might look for different ones.

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1