Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Questions, questions, questions... AHH PANIC!

scooty16

Reaction score
Okay hey guys, its been a while but I am soooo confused right now.

So the big question, is this little girl pregnant or just fat? She keeps sitting in the plants and I THINK her cloaca was open a bit:

314fa87.jpg

s25gl5.jpg

33m4qo0.jpg

I never overfeed them and she seems to have just ballooned instantly. No chance of impaction as I NEVER use gravel or small stones.

Also, I am about to introduce two axolotls together. I am going to get a mesh divider, how long do I leave them divided for?

Another question... my window has a serious mould problem which my mum wants to clean and fix. Do fumes and smells affect Axolotls?

One more question... my oldest axie is 28cm long, how big does another axie have to be in order to join him?

Thanks and sorry! :p

zoezakella

Reaction score
Okay hey guys, its been a while but I am soooo confused right now.

So the big question, is this little girl pregnant or just fat? She keeps sitting in the plants and I THINK her cloaca was open a bit:

314fa87.jpg

s25gl5.jpg

33m4qo0.jpg

I never overfeed them and she seems to have just ballooned instantly. No chance of impaction as I NEVER use gravel or small stones.

Also, I am about to introduce two axolotls together. I am going to get a mesh divider, how long do I leave them divided for?

Another question... my window has a serious mould problem which my mum wants to clean and fix. Do fumes and smells affect Axolotls?

One more question... my oldest axie is 28cm long, how big does another axie have to be in order to join him?

Thanks and sorry! :p

Heh hun, ok yes she certainly looks bloated and not sure why as i know how you keep them so can rule out most options! Am hoping someone with more experience can step in!! Females are certainly rounder but from the side picture it looks more bloated and also as its been a good 12 hours since we spoke am unsure if she wil lay eggs....

Fumes etc should be kept away from axie tanks as they get in the air and can get into the water so take extreme care with what you use, maybe spray any sprays you are using onto a cloth out of the room.

As for housing your axies together a divider is definately the way to go temporarily but axies need to be the same size as each other before its removed.

Good luck, will finish our chat on facebook now :) x

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Is she actually in with a male? Also what are you feeding her?
I would keep a close eye on her , make sure her water is cool and clean and let us know if there is any change.

scooty16

Reaction score
Hi Bellabello, yes she is in with Bongo who I believe is male due to his larger private area. She seems to have a flat area, almost invisible compared to Bongo.

She eats Bloodworm, Pellets and Earthworms. Earthworms are the most stable, the other two she rarely has unless I have run out of worms or am away for a few days from home.

Thank you, I will keep her cool and clean. She has had a water change today. She is her normal happy self and VERY interested in food. :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1