Damsel flys and Newts?

fire_newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all! I had quite a shocker this morning when I woke up and saw one of these bad boys crawling around in my tank. After a little research I've come to the conclusion that it's a damsel fly larvae, which I'm going to say came from the plants I got from someone. I don't mind it being there, I love dragonflies and damselflies, but should I get rid of him? Will he effect the health of my newts (cynops. O) and guppies?

Attachments

• damselfly1.jpg
    damselfly1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,360
It should be fine. Damsel fly larvae will eat salamander larvae. Dragon fly larvae will eat small larvae and probably small newts. I found some damsel fly larvae this morning while getting daphnia in my back yard. I tossed them out because the daphnia was going in with newly hatched newt larvae.

Reactions: Ed
Hello all! I had quite a shocker this morning when I woke up and saw one of these bad boys crawling around in my tank. After a little research I've come to the conclusion that it's a damsel fly larvae, which I'm going to say came from the plants I got from someone. I don't mind it being there, I love dragonflies and damselflies, but should I get rid of him? Will he effect the health of my newts (cynops. O) and guppies?

If you like them and feed live foods to your newts, you can place the larva in a jar of fish bowl with a stick poking out of the water and raise it up until it emerges. It is a cool thing to try on occasion.

Mike covered it pretty well.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back