Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank lid query

kiathepooch

Reaction score
I'll try to explain this the best i can!
Im about to buy a bigger thank for the newts and apparently the lid doesnt fit very well SO i was thinking if i buy some plexi glass and drill holes in it for ventilation or make a frame and have a mesh top and fit some bracing panels at the top of the tank(also with plexi glass or very think plastic) would that be ok?by braces i mean almost like a lip round the top of the tank,just a few centimeters below the top,but with one running across the middle width ways as well for extra stability...

Ed

Reaction score
You have to be careful when using plexiglass as a lid as plexi will warp over time potentially supply escape routes. If you go to a good glass shop, they can cut glass to whatever dimensions you want and you can avoid the risk or warping. If you don't want to use glass, use lexan as it isn't as prone to warping. It does cost more though.

Ed

wargar

Reaction score
Hi,
I agree with what Ed said. I did this once with a small glass tank and the plexi lasted about 6 months before it bowed and left gaps.That said it was thin (about 5mm) maybe the thicker stuff would hold it's shape longer.
Dave

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Thanks for the input,plexiglas is definitely out the equation as I can only get the thin stuff near me!
I daren't get a full glass top-i have a tendency to break things like that,would love one though!
I might go for a screen/mesh top in a frame of some sort....
Thanks again!

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
Hi I had the same problem with my young alpine newts what to use as a cover plastic tank covers are useless do not breathe enough or fit well enough. I had already lost two young alpine newts who escaped, the lip up the top is a lovely place for them to sit and aid escaping.
The solution for me was to make a wooden square frame which just fits over the tank and drops a little way downover the edge. Then to secure a laundry bag the mesh type folded double and tightly tacked to the wooden frame. This works a treat and fits smugly no room to escape and easy to lift of and on. The laundry bag a £1 purchase from the cheap shop in town can easily be replaced if it ever gets worn allows are to circulate in and out the tank.

Hope this helps.

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Acephonechic- I was going to check I could use wood as a lid frame,I'm glad I can,if your alpines havent escaped from your tank with that lid I'm going to give it a try,as my female loves trying to escape!
Thanks!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I used stick on velcro on to the glass. Then I got some rather lovely purple mesh ( it was a remnant) and sewed on velcro . It lasted really well.

Ed

Reaction score
Thanks for the input,plexiglas is definitely out the equation as I can only get the thin stuff near me!
I daren't get a full glass top-i have a tendency to break things like that,would love one though!
I might go for a screen/mesh top in a frame of some sort....
Thanks again!

Actually I wasn't referring to an all glass lid. If you have a good glass shop near you they should be able to cut strips that could be used in place of the plexi in your original idea. The glass wouldn't warp but you would have to make sure that they sanded the edges so you didn't have to worry about cutting yourself.

Ed

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Actually I wasn't referring to an all glass lid. If you have a good glass shop near you they should be able to cut strips that could be used in place of the plexi in your original idea. The glass wouldn't warp but you would have to make sure that they sanded the edges so you didn't have to worry about cutting yourself.

Ed

Ah you meant for the bracing?!sorry I can be slightly dim sometimes!!
I'm with it now,if I get the brace/lip idea made from glass it doesn't warp and I'm unlikely to break it.
If I got it wide enough,as long as I had nothing coming above the tank line I could in theory go lid free?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1