Bloated axolotyl

oscar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im seriously worried about oscar my axolotyl over the last few weeks he has totaly swollen up and is now only balancing on one leg.. :(

Attachments

• IMG00021-20111103-1448.jpg
    IMG00021-20111103-1448.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,352
Welcome,
Your axolotl looks awful :( there's a thread in the sick axolotl bit where someone else's was severely swollen,there may be some useful information there.
Have you been to a vet?

that could be impaction? im not sure, maybe you should fridge him.

In a case like this, you can do some emergency supportive care until you can get advice from a vet. The first thing is to check the parameters of the water as poor water quality can prevent proper osmoregulation by the sick animal. If these are skewed them correcting them can help the affected animal. Ideally, ammonia, and nitrite should be zero and nitrate should be as low as possible.
If the water parameters are in a good place, then you should consider placing it into either isotonic amphibian ringer's solution or a salt solution to help with the fluid retention. See Caudata Culture Articles - Salt Solutions in Treating Salamanders and Caudata Culture Articles: Bloat for suggestions. There are many different causes of fluid retention in amphibians and those need a vet's expertise to diagnose but you can do some of the simple things to make the axolotl more comfortable until you can get medical help.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back