Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heat is rising

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
So the mercury has just hit 26C and I;m chuckling over hot my tank is all condensate'd, but at least my precious axi is sitting pretty on 18C

Bless chillers... even if they are noisy

iChris

Reaction score
I'm surprised how quiet my chiller is. I got a Aqua One chiller few weeks back. We had a few humid days this week (very unusual for perth) and my tank was dripping everywhere, so I've been using the shamwow I use to shammy my car to wipe it all up.

I'm now thinking of wrapping the pipe in foam or something from clark rubber to help insulate it.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
My chiller is a noisy little thing, but I'm pleased to have it. I've wrapped an old towel around the base of the tank, it hasn't been soaked yet but I'm sure as it gets hotter here it will

axolotl141

Reaction score
How much are chillers? Are they cheap and would it work with a 40 ltr tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandy6

Reaction score
Chillers are very expensive, the smallest I've seen is for a 100 litre tank and was over $300

Shanno93

Reaction score
Is there any way to make one from home? Or get one under $100? I live in Australia too, and I'm so worried about my little Fonzie :(

Dexter

Reaction score
I thought about getting something made. A heat exchanger from a refrigeration unit with cold filtered water, just the motor etc, I could build it into the cabinet.
Has anyone got access to an airconditioning/refrigeration supplier? I'd pay up to $100 for a unit like this, something stripped down out of a fridge wood be ideal? looked at getting a small fridge like a esky and punching a couple holes in it, running water thru that, but meh, not in the lounge... And I don't trust those little engels to be left on 24/7.
also live in perth, safety bay, the air temp is still pretty low atm and my tank is still 18C.
I'm thinking it will take a while for the water to increase in temperature?
have air con, but I'm not home often...

J

jcj57

I just found an article I've posted it in tanks and substrates. The site also had - how to make a chiller using a small fridge. (Bar fridge - dual purpose lol) but I was more interested in the canister filter in the bucket of ice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1