Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Gill Filaments Falling Off!

esn

Reaction score
Kind of worried now! My axolotl from the previous thread, who had a fungus problem, seems to be lacking fungus now, but after changing her water after her last salt bath, I noticed 4 of her gill filaments floating. Her bottom two gills look kind of scrunched right now. I didn't notice any bleeding form the salt bath, and I never left her in longer than 10 minutes, but I don't know what's happening! She's been kind of sluggish for the past few days, but I figured that was just the cold water, and I didn't really know her behavior patterns yet since I just got her a week ago.

Also, she had a spot on her nose when I got her, and it's still there. Not sure what it is. An injury from the pet store tank?

The water conditions in the fridge are perfect concerning chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. I don't quite know what's going on, but I'm not going to give her any more salt baths and I'll keep her in the fridge for another two days, I think.

Does anyone know what might be happening?

Attachments

• 2011-11-07_20-55-15_442.jpg
    2011-11-07_20-55-15_442.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 556

emz

Reaction score
Hi there!
I did see your other thread. Glad to see the fungus has gone. It looked like the fungus was on the filaments wasnt it?
It could just be that they fell off with the fungus. When i had to deal with fungus i noticed bits of gill and filaments came off with the fungus. But they did grow back over time. I would just keep a close eye on things and see if they improve.
As for the spot is it raised or fluffy? If it is part of the skin it could be markings.

esn

Reaction score
The spot isn't raised at all, and hasn't come off with the salt bath. It'd be weird for her to just have a big white nose spot, though... But cute, if it's not an injury. I hope it's just from the fungus! It really had me worried. That seems like the worst thing that can happen, losing it's gills. But the fungus was clinging to the filaments, so I'm just going to hope that's it. She's off salt baths, and staying in the fridge for two more days until I'm positive that it's gone.

emz

Reaction score
It could well be just markings then. I have seen axies on here with the odd marking similar to yours.
I would just keep doing what your doing and keep your axie in the fridge for a few more days and keep a close eye out for more fungus. Other than having had fungus your axie looks a healthy size so i assume its eating fine. And good luck by the way let us know how it goes.

esn

Reaction score
Many more gill filaments ended up falling off, but she's in her tank now, and doing fine. She has a bare minimum of filaments, but she's active, eating, and swimming to the top periodically for the extra air she needs. She doesn't seem stressed out about it, and I'm keeping a very close eye on the water parameters and whether or not she's having any problems. I think she's doing fine, and I think I can see the stubs of new filaments growing. My cute little girl is pulling through.

Ed

Reaction score
There may have been damage to the gill filiments which is why they were shed as was noted above.

Keep in mind that the size and amount of filiments can also be affected by the high dissolved oxygen content with high oxygen levels resulting in smaller and fewer filiments.

Ed

emz

Reaction score
Glad to hear she is getting better!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1