Joined Tanks

Nibog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I have a wildtype axolotl and have a new gold albino coming in today from buy-axolotls . com .

My wildtype is currently in a bare bottomed, filtered 10 gallon. The golden wil lbe going in another 10 gallon (quarantine / grow out).

I will be connecting these tanks with "aqua bridges" - a water way that the axolotls will be able to climb/swim through to go from one tank to the other. The bridges are being shipped to me this week.

Here is my set up currently - it is very bare, will be adding black sand substrate.
The second video focuses on my current wild type - She LOVES being infront of the mirror - she keeps going and staring at herself!

Axolotl set up - YouTube

second video
Wildtype Axolotl - YouTube

I will be very impressed if your axolotls use the bridge. Mine only ever come up to the top if I tease them with a worm

I figure it will be worth an experiment. they can be very curious...I figure they may find it by accident the first few times....

Either you have small axolotls, or your tanks are bigger than 10 gallons. They seem to be alot bigger than my 10 gallon.

Both of my axolotls are under a year old....that might account for their current sizes. I have a third ten gallon to line up into the experiment. Once I see if they can do the aqua bridge, I will set up the third tank.

I can't wait to see the water bridges, I'm a bit curious how they will take to them :)

Here is the water bridge

002-1.jpg

001.jpg

IMG_20111109_155059.jpg

-Nibog

Pictures of it in the tank will follow

Pictures of the filled water bridge. Accidentally ended up inhaling water during the process but in the end it was worth it

IMG_20111109_155619.jpg

IMG_20111109_155732.jpg

IMG_20111109_155740.jpg

Your tanks look ace!
I'm unsure if your axolotls will use the bridge though,maybe you could train them somehow with food?let us know how you and they get on!
There was a tank on Facebook that had been custom made with a bridge but it was a straight across bridge linking both direct?

Newb here: How do you fill the water bridges up with water like that? Looks splendid though! If I ever expand my Lotl colony I might look into something like this.

What a great idea, it looks neat, can you grow some weeds in them, like the stuff that looks like air fern. Hope we don't have to wait too long to see a video of them using it.

Newb here: How do you fill the water bridges up with water like that? Looks splendid though! If I ever expand my Lotl colony I might look into something like this.
It came with a tube...you stick the tube into it while it is floating in the water, and you manually suck the air out. Check to make sure that the tube itself doesn't have water in it before you give that first big suck - -I didn't check and ended up choking on axolotl water. Not a fun experience!

-Nibog

I might try and "lure" them up to investigate it this evening with an earthworm if they haven't figured it out by then!

I read that it can take fish a little while to learn they can swim "up and out" of the water - hopefully with some tempting worms I can train the axolotls to use it.

I put a few mollies in one of the tanks so I could check periodically if they are going inbetween - no such luck so far and they all managed to evade the axolotls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFygR_h6Svc

Last edited:
a molly has made it over but the axolotls have not. I am going to attempt "training" with a worm today - see if I can get the axie to follow the worm along the tube.

I think I will have better luck getting the wildtype to do it than the golden albino - my wildtype is immensely curious.

If thats black gravel I spot in the bottom of the tank you'll have to switch it out for some nice fine sand

It is not gravel. The black sand had just been added and some of it had clumped around air bubbles. You can see from my first video that it was originally a bare bottomed tank.

All sand, no gravel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back