Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setup affecting coloring

pent565

Reaction score
So, My baby leucistic axolotls are at the back limb bud stage, for the most part. I have three groups, two in Tupperware, one in a 35 gallon tank with lots of plants. I've noticed two distinct size groups, but these are in no way related to habitat. The bigger ones are all around the same size and have back limb buds, and the smaller ones are the same size as each other without back limbs. I scooped a few out of the big tank and added them to the tupperware group, and noticed something very obvious, and interesting.

The ones in the containers are very pale white, with pink already showing in the gills. Almost no pigment "freckles". The newcomers I moved from the group tank on the other hand are showing a lot of freckling and pigmentation. Any guesses as to the cause of this? Food should be the same, but lighting and temperature are both different. Tupperware is slightly warmer, and more brightly lit.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen this in axolotl larvae and an adult that I raised. In this case its a wild type that generally lives indoors in an aquarium. When she comes for her holiday ( I 'baby' sit her while her owner is on holiday) She lives outside in a large light blue crate, with in a few days she has lightened to the extent her owner was skeptical it was the original axolotl. When she goes back home she darkens again.

pent565

Reaction score
That is really neat. So a more brightly lit tank will yield lighter colored axies? or could it be due to substrate color?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1