Question: Why does my axolotl keep hitting her nose on the glass wall of the tank???

mudkip246

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a question. my axolotl sometimes walks around the corners of my 10 gallon tank and bumps her nose on the glass walls. her movements are not rapid she just crawls on the floor of the tank and when she gets to the corner she bumps her nose it doesn't seem it hurts but im not sure if she stressed or shes just still nervous about her new home? im so worried about her please respond as quickly as you can i need an answer please:(. by the way i got her just 5 days ago. the water condtions are fine and my filter is at slow current. shes an golden albino and has a veracious apatite. i feed her blood worms.

If the axolotl is just walking into the glass or slowly swimming into it I wouldn't worry. They are not very intelligent creatures, have poor eyesights and glass is, well, very clear. However, if it is thrashing about violently or extremely active you might want to change something in it's environment because they are usually only restless when they are mating, laying eggs, or stressed by something.

that puts my mind at rest thanks jake!:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back