Not eating, otherwise healthy?

ellena

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2 lotls eat some sinking pellets which contain shellfish and other proteins. I hand feed them by dropping them right in front of their faces.
A few weeks ago, I tried them on some live earthworms which they struggled to eat and ended up sort of spitting out, so I gave up.
Since then, they've hardly eaten anything. The pellets now come out of their mouths as they're chewing, that's if they go for them at all.
Water stats are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, they look healthy and are active and acting normally.
Any thoughts?
Thansk :)

Most likely they have gotten a "taste" for wiggly worm and could not figure it out at the time.

Try earth worms again, cut them in half to make them easy to eat. Axolotls LOVE worms, but they can be a bit of a wrestle to eat.

Once the axies learn how to wrestle the worm they will eat them easier

Thanks for the reply :)
The nearest place that sells worms is a few miles away and I haven't been able to get. I'm trying them every day with the pellets. They haven't eaten anything for weeks now :(
Even if I get worms and they manage them, I can't afford/get regularly enough to feed them worms all the time, they need to take the pellets too.
Today, one of them kept the pellet in his mouth quite a while and I thought he'd got it, but he spat it out eventually then wasn't interested at all in going for it again.
They seem skittish sometimes too, trying to hide as soon as I open the tank lid.
Could there be something actually wrong? They don't seem to be getting thinner at all.
Thanks for any and all advice!

Thanks for the reply :)
The nearest place that sells worms is a few miles away and I haven't been able to get. I'm trying them every day with the pellets. They haven't eaten anything for weeks now :(
Even if I get worms and they manage them, I can't afford/get regularly enough to feed them worms all the time, they need to take the pellets too.
Today, one of them kept the pellet in his mouth quite a while and I thought he'd got it, but he spat it out eventually then wasn't interested at all in going for it again.
They seem skittish sometimes too, trying to hide as soon as I open the tank lid.
Could there be something actually wrong? They don't seem to be getting thinner at all.
Thanks for any and all advice!

I agree earthworms are the best diet for them. Mine won't even look at a pellet.

The last for a few weeks in the fridge, and each axie should only need 1 worm every other day...It should not be too expensive for you. Unfortunately though it is the best diet recommended for them.

Can you try posting a picture of them and their set up? How big is it? Any chance they are impacted? This could cause them to go off food.

I suggest to keep trying with worms if you can manage.

Mine axolotls spit out pellets after they tried frozen bloodworms :D
But they hunt live earthworms themselves then I plant them in aquarium, that is must see :)

they go through a thase of not eating for weeks sometimes so its nothing to worry about:happy::happy:, mine wont even eat their pellets no more because ive been feeding the live earthworms, instead of buying earthworms why dont you dig some up and make a worm farm free food then thats what i do with mine :D:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back