Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leeches as food

TheNewt

Reaction score
I've just received some Pleurodeles waltl eggs and there were leeches in the pot with the eggs, when I questioned this the seller told me that the hatchlings will eat these? Is that true? I've heard of many different food sources for young caudates but never leeches.

enricolatiano

Reaction score
at the most the leeches eat the eggs and the larvas. before raising animals it needs to inquire well, however the larvas necessarily eat daphnie ostracodi brineshrimps alive.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Well, in the wild they certainly will be feeding on leeches of different species and sizes, but I think it requires a bit of caution since larger leeches may be too much for the little ones to handle. The leeches may attach their suction cup to the mouth or other place on the newt and prevent it from swallowing properly. I think keeping the leeches separate from the newts and feeding them ones that are small enough for them would be a good idea. You can keep leeches in a bait bucket that has an aerator, though you'll need to change the water. Depending on the species, food varies from algae and plant material to decomposing materials to meat. Check in with the seller to find out the species.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
I think it depends on the size of your newts and the size of the leeches. Leeches that are too big may cause problems for the newts when they try to feed on them. Otherwise, I think it's just fine. To keep them longer, you can put the leeches in an inexpensive bait bucket that comes with an aerator. Contact the seller to find out what kind of leeches they are so you know their diet. Most are either herbivorous or feed on decomposing stuff.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt hatclings can eat something as big or bigger than them and capable of killing them. they might eat them when they are mature larvae with 5 to 10cm. Not with 1cm.
Still the smallest leeches Ive seen were 4cm. Still a pain for a larvae of 5cm to eat something as big and as tick.
Maybe its some other kind of leeche?

TheNewt

Reaction score
I doubt hatclings can eat something as big or bigger than them and capable of killing them. they might eat them when they are mature larvae with 5 to 10cm. Not with 1cm.
Still the smallest leeches Ive seen were 4cm. Still a pain for a larvae of 5cm to eat something as big and as tick.

These leeches were around 6mm long, so there's no way the hatchlings could have taken them. I just wondered as feeding parasites to your pet doesn't sound like good practice.

Ed

Reaction score

There are a lot of species of leech and not all are parasitic... for example, there is a leech that predates on blackworms and is often found in shipments of the blackworms and is very small (and the smallest leech currently known is 5 mm in length). It should also be noted that even though there are leeches that do utilize amphibians as a food source, we don't know if that is the case in this instance.

While the current leeches are probably not small enough to serve as a food source for the hatchlings, it doesn't invalidate the question and answer that they are used a food source in the diet of newts.

Ed

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Leeches as food

If I find little leeches in the basin, then I cut a worm into the water - after 30 minutes all leeches are on the bloody wormpeaces and I can vacuum them with a hose.
I have never observed that larvae and newts eat leeches,
ummi

Ed

Reaction score
True, and we talk of adult mature 18cm Triturus cristatus as for an instance. Not their 9mm (0,9cm) just hatched larvae...

I'm not sure what your issue is in general but you clearly have one with me..

Back to the issue of the leeches with the P. waltl as the OP asked the question which as a food source can leeches be fed to newts. The unequivical answer was provided, and was and still is yes and it is absolutely documented that leeches can actually be a prey item for newts.

As for the comment on larval newt sizes and predation on leeches this ignores the fact that there are also very tiny larval leeches which hatch and are predated upon by newt larva. The fact that you have only seen 4 cm leeches is not absolute proof that there are not smaller leeches available. If you have references that break down sizes of larval newts before they begin to predate on larval leeches I would like to see it. As for my proof you may want to consult with Predation on leeches in a weedy pond - YOUNG - 2006 - Freshwater Biology - Wiley Online Library... it documentes larval newts feeding on hatchling leeches....

Ed

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I think everyone is complicating this. Yes leeches are eaten by newts. In my opion its not good to have leeches in your tank as they can feed on your newts leaving behind wounds that are open to bacteria and fungus attacks. The loss of blood will weaken and maybe even kill them out right. I always go through my blackworms and remove them.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Certain small species of detritovorous leeches may even be helpful in keeping a tank clean. I've used native varieties in observation tanks that contained other pond organisms and they seem to be busy little vacuum cleaners. Some are quite pretty too!

Ed

Reaction score
I think everyone is complicating this. Yes leeches are eaten by newts. In my opion its not good to have leeches in your tank as they can feed on your newts leaving behind wounds that are open to bacteria and fungus attacks. The loss of blood will weaken and maybe even kill them out right. I always go through my blackworms and remove them.

This depends on the leech. Many leeches do not predate or parasitize amphibians (or any vertebrate). For example, the leech found with cultured blackworms does not feed on vertebrates. It is discussed anecodotally here Leeches in Blackworm (Lumbriculus variegatus) Cultures So it would not leave wounds on any amphibian to which it was offered as a food source.

Ed

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Since Im not a leech expert I don't like any of them unless I'm fishing for suckers and bass with them. I'd rather error on the side of caution when it comes to leeches in my tanks.

Natalie

Reaction score
Some are quite pretty too!

It's true. I found two leeaches in the lake just now, and one was gorgeous! I didn't realize they could be of any benefit though. I thought anything that would feed on a human, would make short work of a newt. But after careful consideration, I took some salt on my fingers and picked it up at the suction head, which disabled it. Then I directly put it in front of a P. waltl. He found it a nummy nummy treat.:wacko:

Mikshius

Reaction score
I would be careful with those wild caught food animals. I work in a parasitology lab and know how infected wild worms are... I suggest you simply use things you buy at a pet store or grow them yourself. Never go for the wild

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!