Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Our experience with play sand

CANDYCHOOCH

Reaction score
We have a 3 1.2 inch axie and use play sand as a substrate. Over the last few days we've noticed him passing(with difficulty) some of the larger stones that come with the sand. Last night my boyfriend went through the entire tank with a strainer and took out everything larger then the sand. Took him about 2 hours :p

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking about using play sand. There are rocks that come with the sand that can give them difficulty.

J

jcj57

That's good to know, thanks, will stick to the fine aquarium sand worth its money.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
hey

thats no good that your axolotls are having trouble :(

it seems a bit dodgy to me that there are rocks in the play sand when it is meant for kids in sandpits. I guess you could put the sand through a sive? or just buy some more sand if you have the cash

the play sand around here has never had rocks but it is notoriously dusty and needs an obscene amount of washing before you put it in the tank. Its a toxic free option but it is a pain in the backside wherever it comes from. I think aquarium sand is the better option just because it is far more convenient, but it is waaaaay expensive :(

axigeek

Reaction score
I use kids play sand, but I rinse it thoroughly with a strainer/sifter (like the one you use to sift flour) at least twice before using it.

Carl

Reaction score
Nope I sloshed it round in a bucket about 5 separate times until it ran clear and it was fine =]

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never knew that play sand could have larger pieces of rock in it. That's good to know.

SabreRose

Reaction score
I use the Argos play sand, and I've never found any rocks in it. I bought two bags for Aquarium use a few days back, but have also used it for sand pit use several times and never noticed anything wrong. It looks good too, so as long as it's had a good rinsing, it would be perfectly fine.

Out of curiousity, where did you buy your play sand from?

Aaran

Reaction score
I also bought 2 bags of the argos play sand, awhile ago i had to carry them for 2 miles >< but yeah, great buy, really clean really fine no nasty rocks :D

Would deffinatley go to argos again.

SabreRose

Reaction score
You had to carry them? o_O Ouch!

I must be a weakling then. I made my boyfriend carry mine to the bike, and then let him ride back ten miles to home. Hehe. He hates play sand now!

crazyfishlady

Reaction score
I use pool filter sand. It cost 8 bucks for a 50lb bag. Can't beat that price. The sand grain is all about the same size which is pretty fine and it doesn't dirty the water at all. There also isn't any rock in it. I have no complaints. When shopping for sand I did notice that certain types of sand had larger debris in it.

Dakkagor

Reaction score
sorry to resurrect this thread, but I found it immensely helpful! Argos play sand it is!

Ryder

Reaction score
Hi, I've just recently got my Axies a big tank (finally) and the guy at the pet shop recomended sand cause of the swallowing issues. WHich I was aware of...HOWEVER he did not tell me i had to wash the play sand before putting it in the tank.....now i has stupidly cloudy water and i have no idea what to do.....will it settle if i leave it for a period of days??

danchristopher

Reaction score
If you didn't rinse it at all then it's quite possible it may never settle... I recently put some new sand in my tank and probably didn't rinse it as well as I should have and it was cloudy for just under 2 days. If it does settle, the problem you will probably have is that every time the sand gets stirred up (and it's recommended to stir it up occasionally to stop toxic gas pockets forming) it will cause the water to go cloudy again and may take a while to settle...

If it's a new tank and your axies are not in there yet then the best thing to do would be to remove all the water and then the sand and rinse it. Not ideal but it will save you from having problems in the long term D:

Ryder

Reaction score
Ah, ok great ^^' Any sugestions on how i get it out of the tank and then how do i rinse it?? Its like 20kgs of sand...

danchristopher

Reaction score
I've used a dustpan quite successfully to get sand out. Will make it a lot easier if you drain the tank first. Just put it in a bucket and run the hose through it while mixing it around and letting the water slosh out. It will take a while but eventually you'll start to notice the water running clearer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1