Pickerel Frog and Eastern Newt? Is my Newt ill?

Naut

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
I keep a pickerel frog and my eastern newt in separate housings. However today, while cleaning out the tank, my pickerel frog jumped into the tank where my newt is in, and it was a pretty high fall, maybe 3 feet into the water. I saw what looked like oil running into the water (could it be the toxin from the frog?) and I immediately took the frog out of the tank. I'm just afraid if my newt could be poisoned by this. I notice my newt being a little less active than usual after this happened, but he would still eat and swim in the water. I have a repto filter running the water and some aquatic plants and java moss in the water to help control ammonia. Should I change the water? It's night time right now and my newt usually sleeps near the turtle dock so it could just be no big deal if he's not active, I will check on his status tomorrow in the morning (when he's most active). I could just be over-reacting, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I would suggest at least conducting a water change and changing the charcoal in the filter. It has been known for a long time that the skin secretions of pickeral frogs can be highly toxic to other amphibians.

Ed

I heard that its toxic to animals that try to eat the frog, i'm not sure if its harmful if its just diluted with water. I'll do a 20% water change to be safe

Pickeral frogs are so toxic they will kill other amphibians kept in the same tank or a bucket you are useing while you collect animals. I doubt a frog just falling into the tank and being removed right away could kill your newt. To be on the safe side and give you peice of mind. I would do that water change mentioned by Ed. No more than 20%. The oil slick you saw on top can always be removed by dragging dry paper towls across the surface. As it absorbs the water it will pick up that coating of oil off the surface.

Reactions: Ed
I guess the oil looking substance in the water could just be urine from the frog? It dissolved into the water so I'm not quite sure. I have had the pickerel frog make a mess on my hands when I handle it to clean its tank so that could be the case. I did a water change and the newt seems to be doing fine now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back