Help with hatching eggs please!

Jafftab

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi I have seperated 8 eggs from the parents and have them in a plastic container, 4 of them hatched last night so im guessing the rest will follow shortly, they dont move around very much is this normal?

I havnt added any food yet but I have some daphnia from my LFS which looks like it might be too big at this stage and also some frozen bbs, is the frozen bbs any good or will they just ignore it a it isnt live? Should I add some daphnia anyway as they will survive until eaten.

Also I saw my female laying more eggs last night, is this dangerous for her. If so I will find a way to seperate them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If the Daphnia are too large for them to eat then try to find some brine shrimp eggs as soon as possible. The larvae will react to find food for the first few weeks.

Definitely separate the pair otherwise they'll spawn every few weeks/months and that is not only hard on the female but will eventually result in very weak offspring.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Jacob. I'll put some daphnia in when I get home and get some BBS as soon as possible.
Will try to find a way of dividing the tank for a couple of months aswell.

Keep in mind that you have some time to get feeders lined up. The larva may not feed for the first several days due to still having yolk left over from being in the egg.

See for example Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back