Axolotl and Anderson's Salamander

esn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Elena
So I got my wild type axolotl at a pet store, and I got an Anderson's with it. I had only known about axolotls, and it wasn't clear that Anderson's were an entirely different animal. However, the Anderson's and wild-type axolotls have been housed in the same tank at the pet store for about 6 months, and they never had any problems together.

I can't afford to set up another tank, and they don't really react to each other at all. I could probably call the pet store and ask if I could take the Anderson's back in exchange for another actual axolotl, but they seem right happy together, and I would feel bad about doing that. I read that Anderson's tend to be more aggressive and have a larger tendency to metamorphose, but how much likelier is that to happen? After some research I've gotten about half and half "It's just fine." and "Don't!" I need a clearer answer.

Because I already bought them, and they're used to being tank mates, is it fine to keep them together?

Also, as far as axolotls go, is treatment for sickness the same? Basically, the ability to fridge the Anderson if I need to.

yes the care requirements are very similar and they can be housed together. More knowledgable people around the forums have said the only real differnece in the two is that they are found in different lakes, and that the spieces are pretty much the same. Be carefull, and make sure they are of the same gender unless you want hybrid andersons axolotls, which is quite contrevercial and i think you would be taking on a massive responsibility if you considdred crossing the spieces.

They seem perfectly happy to be housed together. They frequently cuddle up in the single cave that I have, then both poke their heads out to look at me as I come up to the tank. The Anderson's Salamander seems to have better eyesight? He's very interactive. I'll continue to house them together, since they seem content.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back