Is it fungus? my axolotl?

ScarletsBurn

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is my axolotl sick? ever since I got him he has had these white spots on him, it sort of looks like a fungus but its flat on his skin?
its not sand, there still on when he is out of the water.
They have never gone away or gotten bigger, only there are a couple more on him now (on his stomach and tail) than when i first got him (a year ago)
My other axolotl died (no caus as of yet) but my other is as healthy as a horse..
they havent stopped him from doing anything but they have me worried and no one can give me a reasonable answer!
I was thinking about a saltbath but im too scared, especially after my other ones death :(

btw, some of the specs (the smaller ones) are sand, the bigger ones are not

Attachments

• sick.jpg
    sick.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 499
Hi. I wouldnt salt bath if it doesnt look like fungus. If the white marks are not fluffy and raised then i dont think it is fungus. It could be natural markings if they have always been there. Is the temp etc ok? And is your axolotl acting normally and eating well?

like i said, he has had them since i baught him. its been over a year, his much fatter, larger and has fluffier gills, but he also has a few more white spots. so he is healthy, he eats like a pig and never turns down food, he swims, walks etc. never floats at the top (he's only done that twice, while passin gas)
I just cleaned his tank start of the week) the temp is a steady 19 degees celcius. ph and everything is fine. but he DOES have more spots than he useto...
they dont look like marks, there a pure white.

Your axie does look healthy other than the white patches. I dont know if there are any other types of fungus or bacteria that could cause it hopefully someone may have another idea.
And it doesnt look like the milky patches from heat stress and your temp is obviously fine.
So all i can suggest is it could be natural changes i think axolotls can get different coloured patches etc as they get older.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back