Interesting juvenile

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
Hey,

this little guy came out of my first batch and is about 6 months old now, we called him/her moon landing.

he has large white patches down one side, he started out all white on one side as a larvae but some pigment has migrated. He has been stable in colour for 4 months now. One side of his gills are pink and smaller than the other side, so cute!

sorry for the bad quality, we have nothing but phone cameras :(

the third pic is of his dark side and the 4th of his lighter side, which i will try to take a better one of later.

also they were taken before his water change, so please ignore the poop

Attachments

• landing3.jpg
    landing3.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 459
  • landing2.jpg
    landing2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 1,493
  • landing1.jpg
    landing1.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 413
  • landing4.jpg
    landing4.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 419
Re: Interesting juvinile

I'm really digging this axie! Definitely something going on with his right side. Almost reminds me of Jake's axie named Pirate. Only difference though is that yours has more color on the affected side.

Very nice! How have you managed to keep this one quiet for so long? I'm not sure what to make of it but it does look interesting. The different sizes gills remind me of some of the Chimeras. What were the parents of this one?

Regards Neil

I completely agree with Justin. I hope Jake see's this little one :D

haha, i kept it quit because i didn't want him to die before i could be sure, i had a spinner who seemed to be similar. The father is copper and the mother is wildtype, both average but beutiful. the dark side looks copper ish, like the other copper babies i got out of the batch. I got no white albino or leucistic out of the batch which is interestig considering the white bits. Allthough eggs from a different batch i have given out from the same pair had a small percentage of white albino.

Love the colors - - cannot wait to see how they progress.

- Nibog

='[ He was going to be mine.. so sad.. but im still happy i get to breed him/her when he/her is old enough :D

haha awww. sorry suz, i told her she could have him because i have no more space but my boyfried got attached, so now it's dual custody for suzie and i :D

I can see Copper and wildtype all in the one axolotl...fantastic!

Regards Neil

It looks great! As the others mentioned, it does look like Pirate at first glance. Good luck, hopefully you produce many, many more!

I'll be the one breeding him or her, with some one of my axies that will mature around the same time. Then i'll raise the baby's xD So yes.. Hopefully we get more!!
-Steals Rachels awesome axie-

Also, if you know which pair produced this one try to cross them again in the future. Pirate's father has fathered other interesting offspring too ;)

Some say it's not genetic, but I think no one knows for sure.

i will try!

here are some better pictures of Moon Landing

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
you can see it better in the clearer photos, on the pinkish side there are patches of plain yellow which have formed. They used to be white a few months ago, so now it looks like 3 colours like neill said insead of just light and dark

I think this might be genetic. Your special little one sounds and looks just like the chimera I had, as well as taking into account "pirate."

wow rachel moon landing is beautiful, I look forward to following this thread and seeing how he turns out. keep us all posted!

Moon landing is growing quickly now because he has started eating pellets. He is about 8-9cm and his paterned side seems to be getting darker as he grows, which is interesting because his wild type siblings are getting lighter.

Wow! What a color! More pictures please :D

That axie is a cutie! Very jealous! But I am also interested in Pirate, any links to any pictures of him Jake?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back