Salamanders in Australia

mthom211

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

I am currently investigating the laws for salamaders and newts besides axies. So far I have found this regarding tiger salamders. It seems ridiculas that the areas that apperently overlap with its native habitat are mainly in the desert and arid areas. I've seen lots of people pass around the fact that they are illegal here but this is the first official document I have found regarding any species. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for obtaining this information please.

Kind regards, Matt

A. mavortium is found in semi-desert and desert habitats in the US so it's not that ridiculous. You might want to check out the government website for import regulations. I think in Australia's case they've drawn up a list of animals that can be imported rather than a list of animals that can't be imported. In other words, if it's not on the list it ain't coming in. That leaves you with A. mexicanum (axolotls) and Andrias japonicus, the Japanese Giant Salamander. The latter does not make a good house pet....

I can´t seem to decide wether that monster is hideous, the most adorable thing that ever existed, or just delicious looking. Nothing that looks like something that would live under Cthulhu´s armpit has a right to be so heartbreakingly cute.

I just can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's their grumpy temperament. On the plus side you can cuddle them.

Andrias are the only caudates that I've worked with that made me very concerned that it was imperative to not get bitten by them....

Ed

When I went behind the scenes at Cincinnati zoo the keepers kindly fed a few whole fish to their off exhibit A. japonicus. They rear up on back legs, head out the water, snapping at fish like a dog would catch a ball. I was awestruck... You really wouldn't want one to mistake your hand for food.

Before we sent them back to Cinncinatti, I had them on hairless large rats. I was curious about thier bite strength and when the Andrias grabbed the rat I was able to pick the salamander out of the water by the tail of the rat. It then shook it's head and tore the rat in half and both the Andrias and the half of rat slid back into the tank....

Ed

In Australia we have a grey list, it means you can keep it but not import it. That is what I am hoping there will be some caudates on it. I can't find any documenation though. We have had newts here years ago and I believe we still have some, I've heard of reports of them in Sydney occasionally.

Sorry, I was under the assumption that the 40+ degree heet would kill them, I must be mistacken :/

Sorry, I was under the assumption that the 40+ degree heet would kill them, I must be mistacken :/

40+ C heat will kill any caudate. When salamanders survive in areas where it gets that hot, they use the "microclimate" of their habitats, meaning the often dramatic temperature differences close to the soil, under the soil, in hideouts etc.

For example, they may bury in moist soil that is only 15 C even when the air above is over 40. So it would be very important to keep them cool just like with axolotls.

Reactions: Ed
Does anyoen knwo who the relevant authority to contact regarding this would be? That would give me the most conclusive answer I think.

You can have Axolotls and nothing else. Stop banging your head into the wall. After what Cane Toads have done to Australian native wildlife you are never getting any amphibians added to your legal list again.

I realy hope that we can get not just some interesting salamanders or newts, but a whole host of different animals, like some new sp. of tarantulas, scopions, fish and snakes

Rodrigo, were you referring to Los Mitos de Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft?

Before we sent them back to Cinncinatti, I had them on hairless large rats. I was curious about thier bite strength and when the Andrias grabbed the rat I was able to pick the salamander out of the water by the tail of the rat. It then shook it's head and tore the rat in half and both the Andrias and the half of rat slid back into the tank....

Ed

I'm not big into smileys, but... :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back