New Grlfriend...

Dexter

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Y'all, we got company for my male, wanted or not...
Dunno watchew call them, camo coloured, and hopefully a female.
We got her from a fish shop in Hilton? area, just up from south freo...
Close look at the picture you will see sum little fish, got some guppies and sum tetras, and they only last overnight, these ones are a bit smarter, they tend to avoid being eaten, but already lost 1/5.
And a snail, to keep the tank clean, they already lost a few body parts...
Funny how we give them human attributes, they must like/hate each other etc.
I read they are pretty much oblivious to each other!
These two fight a bit now, I've been feeding them a bit of meat and the black one is straight on it, It's his tank and He's bigger, still, they snap at each other, no damage. Not sure f new girl has honed her hunting skills, might get sum more guppies for them...

Attachments

• 15112011290.jpg
    15112011290.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 15112011291.jpg
    15112011291.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 15112011292.jpg
    15112011292.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 192
Interesting colours on the new girl you have! Looks like some sort of copper but I don't think I've seen colouration quite like that. Any chance of a close up? Beautiful melanoid you have as well. They seem pretty hard to fine good quality ones around Brisbane.

Regards Neil

Such lovely axolotls! Although, I have to say that the stones in the tank are a bad idea because the axi's could swallow them and having other fish in with the axolotls can be bad. Other then that though, the new one is a very interesting color. :happy:

The snails have never been an issue, they have never tried to eat the entire snail, but it has lost a few feelers and body parts, doesn't pay to expose yourself 2 hungry axies... They keep the tank clean and go about their own business. They far too big now and wouldn't put smaller snails in there.
The stones; they've never tried swallowing a stone. put these n there when my last female was expecting for the puppies to hide.
often put Guppies or tetras in there too, the first batch did have a nibble on their gills, true that.
But since the Axies have discovered Guppies are food ( and better entertainment than television); they don't stand a chance, these guys have no trouble eating a whole guppy. I've got 3/5 fish left n the tank, and they keep their distance, it's a fatal mistake to swim within striking distance of a hungry axie. No way they get the chance to eat on their gills.
I've fed them meat twice today. there's a bit of competition for food and the new camo fsh is fighting with the black fulla over bits of meat. He's rushing over and snapping it up before she gets a chance...
It's HIS tank, now His other girl has gone, He went thru the same thing with her, when it was Her tank...
Funny aye?
But thanks anywaze.D

I don't want to offend you or anything but even as a psychologist it remains a mystery to me why people can be so stubborn even when clear evidence is provided. It's good that you never had problems before and I hope you never will! But it is a fact that you are exposing your axies to a potential risk. Those stones are small enough to be swallowed and that accounts for the snail as well. That it never happened before doesn't mean that it never will.
Another mystery to me is why people like those stones so much, it doesn't even look pretty to me and it's harder to clean because the mess gets stuck between/under them. Sand ftw!
Just my two cents...;)

Another edit: I just looked at your previous posts and stumbled across the topic of your beloved axie Zena who passed away about a week ago. Link: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...xicanum/f58-sick-axolotl/80008-zena-died.html

You state there that Zena was getting fatter and fatter and ultimately passed away. Apart from getting fatter she was looking fine and eating well. It was noted in your topic that she might had passed away because of swallowing the stones. It's a really good chance that that was indeed the cause of her death. Everyone remained friendly because they were sorry for your loss. But don't you think it's a little weird that you open another topic about a new axie, people start warning you about the stones...and your reply is that you've never had problems? In my opinion you've had major problems with those stones before and I think it's about time that you start to think about that before another dies the same way.

Last edited:
IME people believe what they want to believe and will twist facts to suit...
Zena R.I.P (in my freezer) showed no signs of duress as she would have if constipated.
I was told not to use the fine gravel, because they would swallow it.
From what I've seen; these fish seem to spit out the gravel, and can definitely tell between a rock and something edible.
But I'll do as you suggest and remove the smaller stones, I can use them in the Guppy tank, and I'[l do an autopsy on Zena to establish if I can the cause of death, constipation, blockage of bowell or egg bound, or neither.
And I don't believe I had any replies Re Zena's untimely death.
Otherwise FINE :)

From what I've seen; these fish seem to spit out the gravel, and can definitely tell between a rock and something edible.

Yes, they can tell the difference between something edible + something that's not, but the problem comes from they way they feed - the sudden suck that "hoovers" in anything withing reach. They get the food, but also stuff that's nearby, which usually includes the substrate. And, yes, they spit it out, but there's also a big chance that some gets swallowed down with the food - that's the difference between being able to bite a mouthful + chew it, compared with swallowing food whole.
P.S. They aren't fish ;)

Glad you're willing to change the gravel + remove the smaller stones though - better safe than sorry :D

All I have to say about stones is, how would you like it, if you were force fed a large rock/stone down your throat and into your stomach? As for the 'I've never had any problems with stones', most people don't have any problems with chicken, but still, some people end up choking or swallowing chicken bones and having complications.

Also, sand and worms are what's most natural to an axolotl and feeder fish have the potential to house parasites if not quarantined properly.

If you have any doubts about the stones, I've added some images from other people's experiences.

Attachments

• iphone 090.jpg
    iphone 090.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Tiniest_Trafton_232-20100809141008-original.jpeg
    Tiniest_Trafton_232-20100809141008-original.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
there has been this argument on the forums countless times before I'm just over it. We can give advice on what is best for axolotls but its up to you how you treat your pet.

edit* you have an awesome looking axolotl!

Last edited:
ANYTHING Smaller then there mouths CAN AND WILL BE SWALLOWED.
People are not just telling you this for no reason. Every single white stone in your tank is a massive threat to your axies. Not just the smaller ones, also I cant tell if you have sand under them or if its small gravel, but honestly I'd take that out too, the grains look a bit to big, as well as the snails.
I cant see a single reason why you would have snails when they can be swallowed, you say they clean the tank.. Well your tank shouldn't be dirty.. And if it is, then there's something wrong there too. Also if you want something to "clean your tank" Get cherry shrimp they are not harmful if swallowed by axolotls. Or better yet, buy a $10 magnetic cleaner for the glass, or a turkey baster. Both of those wont be swallowed by your pet's.

I second what Suzie said. I bought my first magnetic cleaner a few days ago and I'll never go back to anything else. I still use a turkey baster for the debris on the floor of the tank(Bought that at walmart for about 2 bucks.)

You know I realize this is frustrating, but he is willing to get rid of the stones, cut the guy some slack

well... my axies do try to swallow the turkey baser, but are never that successfull :D

Cut the guy some slack?

Everyone thats posted here is only thinking of the axies.
I commented about the fact he has snails that he is not willing to get rid of, and the "sand/gravel"
I'm just pointing out the other things that really need to be done as well.
Seems how he wants to remove the small stone, I was just making sure he knew he needs to remove all of the white stones not just the small one's.

there has been this argument on the forums countless times before I'm just over it. We can give advice on what is best for axolotls but its up to you how you treat your pet.

edit* you have an awesome looking axolotl!

I agree with Rachel on the above comment.

I agree with Rachel on the above comment.

You know what, you're right, there is a lot of DEBATE on this subject, I've been told; No stones. no gravel, no sand, no snails. no fish...
I had an axie years ago for a few years, with a snail in her tank, and gravel, we used to feed her flies, we'd catch them in the curtains, when the kids were little.. rip a wing off them and throw them in the tank. The snail eats the algae in the pond and is an attraction for the axies to play with, they've taken a hunk out of them before, they like to head butt them sometimes, just to play humpty dumpty. but these snails are bigger than their heads. I wouldn't put little snails in there..
I've seen them spit out small stones, like gravel plenty of times, they'll eat what's on offer from the floor of their tank, suck it up, then blow the stones out.
I've never seen them eating a stone!
I've seen the magnet cleaners, but snails do a better job, they get into all the nooks and crannies.
So thanks for all you opinions

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back