Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New sticky needed.

Aaran

Reaction score
Time and time again, i browse through this forum, to find more and more things about stones, if its for the newbies, or people who are just plain ignorant to what people are trying to tell them.. stones have been proven bad, of the incorrect size of course,

Can someone please, make a decent thread, about impaction, including, some wonderful photo's of xrays or surgerys, and please make it a sticky, titled " thinking about gravel or stones? Think again" so that more people can see it, and so that less related illness threads will be turning up.

Regards Aaran.

P/S If this is mentioned and stickeyed somewhere, i do apologise, but it just seems to me that its turning up rather alot in the forum :)

:happy:

Aaran

Reaction score
This may need to be moved to the tank setup section,

but yeah .... same principles apply.

Aaran

Reaction score
Thank you for finding that for me star, maybe it should be put in the illness section too then? or made more clear, cause some people just wont put the time in to reading that.

because its more than 6 words long :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That kind of information is everywhere over the forum and the CC articles. I don´t see how making a new sticky would change things. If people are too lazy to do a simple search, read the CC articles or even browse about the forum a bit, a sticky is not going to make one bit of difference.

Aaran

Reaction score
True azheal,

but with a sticky you dont need to search, its sat one of the first posts on the page, right infront of your eyes, instead of it being in tonnes of comments on peoples threads, that can be 1 - 10 pages long :)

granted if people are too lazy to look, then there is no point, but why would these people who are so lazy to look even bother coming onto here anyway because majority have made accounts? clearly they have a reason to look here. to find information. so if its easier to find maybe they will take more of a hint?

None of this is meant to offend, but this is my view :)

Aaran

Reaction score
I just thought it would be a nice idea, to have it stickyed, as useful information is normally stickeyed.

Oz

Reaction score
great idea but people still don't read them.

axigeek

Reaction score
I see your point, a sticky would be great, but the problem is, some people really are that stupid and stubborn, that even when told by many people that stones are bad, they won't listen or take the advice given to them. Having said that, I don't see any harm in making a sticky anyway.

It's like having a big sign in a store saying 'enter here' and although some people will go in the entrance, there will always be others who are stubborn and stupid, and either ask where the entrance is or just plain go in the wrong way.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
i read the stickys, for the reason they are up the top of the threads and very visible, and usually quite interesting. I think its worth it even for the few people who do, what is there to loose by making one?

J

jcj57

I also think its worth putting up as a sticky in the sick section, some newbys are quite unaware there is a problem with certain substrates and wouldn't even think about it causing a stomach problem, and wouldn't look in the substrate section if they are after info on a sick axie.

GazerOfStars

Reaction score
I think it all comes down to stubbornness, preconceived tank notions, and pet store advice (All of which can be deadly for a new Axie.)

They fail to realize that these little creatures require special care, and aren't just some run of the mill fish. It's not hard to take care of them, it's just little things that you need to keep in mind if you want to adopt one of these unique critters.

Aaran

Reaction score
Afterall, this is just an idea, but it would be nice to have a sticky about it. :)

Jenste

Reaction score
Have a new thread going even about the potential hazards of sand....I have an oh-so-genius sand eater who has eaten enough this past week of me having him to impact himself and he is currently in the fridge spewing up sand...:rolleyes:

kiathepooch

Reaction score
Have a new thread going even about the potential hazards of sand....I have an oh-so-genius sand eater who has eaten enough this past week of me having him to impact himself and he is currently in the fridge spewing up sand...:rolleyes:

You should try find the "is sand safe" thread and comment on it-I'd link you direct but am on my phone,it was started by xxianxx I think?(don't quote me on that) but you're not the first who's had issues with sand.

Back to the op,like the others have said,some people are just too stubborn and pet stores play a large part in it too.
Part of it may be more a question of are you going to believe strangers on the Internet or someone you've met irl...people might have been on other forums too where bad advice is given.if enough people give the same bad advice to someone who then comes here and gets jumped on by people-I mean in what could be perceived as an attack,then it doesn't help the situation,as the person asking for help is going to go straight on the defensive.(I'm thinking of a thread I saw recently whilst trawling the forum).
You can tell someone gravel is bad,small stones are bad etc by explaining,link and stuff,rather than " omfg you axie KILLER" type things.

My point is I think there should be a sticky,the majority of people do read them,also I'd probably something about waiting (if it's a little gravel ingested) before fridging as that seems to be the first step/action that's recommended when it isn't always necessary...that's a whole other topic though so I'll shut up now.

Ps I'm one of those that researches before acquiring :)

Aaran

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, one of mine doesn't eat sand, it digs a lot of it up though! :D

Hmm, if you look at that title, it doesn't really stand out to say the dangers really, Doesn't matter though :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1