Easy feeds to culture at home

1930sam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you give me a list of live foods that can be easily cultured at home.

My axie is feeding on pellets, earthworms and woodlice atm.

Easy to culture food for Axies. Marbled Crayfish. All females.

Whiteworms are the easiest thing in the world to culture. They're small, but you can get clumps of them from a culture.

I'm with Rachel, worm farm, they have the added benefit of providing compost and worm juice for your garden. Bonus.

Some of the easy things I culture are worms, mountain minnows, ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp, guppies, marbled crayfish, and aquatic isopods.

Cool, I have a composter - that is always full of worms.
I've moved some old logs, so that they are sitting on dirt. I'll see if that generates any woodlice/isopods.
I'll pick up a white worm culture on my way home today.

Thanks folks.

Roaches! They're meaty, nutritous, and breed like...well, roaches!! There are dozens of species you can culture at home without worrying about infestation if any escape. Most people choose species that are not able to climb glass.

Wow woodlice, really? :eek:My back yard and shed are crawling with them, could they be carrying parasites and are they nutritious for axys???

I couldn't find out the nutritional content of them, which isn't surprising.
But they get eaten so variety is probably good, and 5 or 6 of them in the tank gets the axies working for there meal.

Shouldn't carry anything that can be transmitted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back