Help a noobie

apples08

Reaction score
Country
United States
I woke up today to find lots of little white eggs all over the tank, and frankly I have no clue what to do with them. Here I'll compose a list of my dilemmas:

1. Should I keep them, or not? I have 3 axies in the tank, two of them about 12 months old and the other about 8 months. Don't know who is male or female, so I don't know who the mother or father are. One is albino, one is leucistic, and one is wild type.

2. I read that having eggs at this age is not healthy, so... how do I stop them?

3. Are the eggs even fertilized? They are small and white. I read somewhere that white is infertile, then read somewhere else that white is laid by albinos.

4. If I am to keep them, what do I do/how do I take care of them? I'm going to need very thorough instructions.
If I don't keep them, how do I get rid of them? I don't even have the conscience to throw them out, I would just feel like I was killing them.

Please help, I'm pretty lost and don't know what I should do.

1. I guess you have to decide if you have the room / resources for it, and if you even want to.

2. Well, I'm a noobie myself, but the site says to separate them, anyway. I think right now you need to separate boys and girls no matter what - and if you don't want to breed them, it's probably best to keep it that way, I'd guess.

Here is the Biology page that shows how to determine sex : Axolotls - Biology (scroll to bottom for picture)

3. From what I've read on the below pages, if the eggs are laid they are already fertilised. But I don't know about special cases or if they can lay them without having them fertilised at all.

4. Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully , Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult , Axolotls - Embryo Photo Log

I've heard of shipping the eggs, also : http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...vae-breeding/79762-shipping-axolotl-eggs.html

But they don't take long to hatch, so I don't know exactly how you'd go about doing that. I've heard of people shipping larvae, too. I'm sure that there might be interested people here who would know how to do it. :)

If you post pics of your axolotls someone should be able to tell you the sex.
Egg wise you could either advertise here and ship them,cull them or let the axolotls munch them(pretty much same as culling).
Have you noticed one of your axolotls looks slightly thinner now?if so that would likely be the egg layer.
I don't know much about breeding and ages but yours seem young,well the 8 month one does!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.776392,-2.382175

Thanks everyone. I suspected the albino was the mother, since she was looking rather fat before and not as much now.

I think I'll try to hand them off to someone who knows what they're doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back