jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
Hi all,
so I did a really stupid thing and shipped some baby newts out last Tuesday (Nov 8), forgetting that a postal holiday was upcoming later in the week. They should have arrived by USPS Priority that Thursday but did not, and for whatever reason I completely forgot about suspended shipping that week in celebration of Veterans Day on Friday (I don't know how I could have done that - my father is a veteran, for the love!) So instead of being just one day late, they were two days late and arrived in a nearly dead condition on Saturday. The purchaser has been great, though, and really wants the little ones to make it. We (the purchaser and I) have been brainstorming what more we can do for the little ones but would like more expert advice so we are asking for help!
The purchaser started misting them with dechlorinated water when they first arrived, and then later switched to a saline solution (though I do not know what percentage). She did the saline for a day or so and then switched back to water. She mists them a few times a day and keeps them on moist paper towels. She tries to keep things quiet for them and only checks on them a couple times a day to minimize stress. She says temps are about 72F.
I am told they don't really move around much, but will stir when misted, and they have not eaten since they arrived. They were fed a lot both the Sunday and Monday nights before they were shipped off and she does not think they are losing weight. She says they really don't seem to be changing, for the better or the worse, but rather seem to be in a Han Solo - esque (my words, not hers) state of suspended animation. She thinks like a brumation state.
So what do you guys think? What more can be done? What treatment should be continued, added, or ceased? Is it just a waiting game, or are they suffering and need to be euthanized?
They were shipped in moist java moss, and I am wondering if the main problem with the delayed shipping was dehydration, as the shipper said the moss was barely damp when they arrived.
I also wonder if they would benefit from a light cover/hiding spot, like a bit of moss, so they would feel more secure. But maybe that would be superfluous?
Thank you all for any tips and advice, it is most appreciated.
Heather

I think a bit more info would help:

- what species of newt?
- were these terrestrial or aquatic?
- any chance they could have been too hot/cold during shipping? What were the temps on either end?
- how exactly were they packaged - insulated, double-boxed etc

knowing these things might make it easier to determine what happened to them and how to help. I doubt it's dehydration alone if the moss was still damp...

If she can keep them cooler, that would be good. If she has somewhere around 10-15C, that would be perfect, but perhaps even refridgerating them would be a good idea. Definitely give them a shelter, or even place the whole box in the dark (insie a cardboard box, for example).

Good luck

C

So sorry for the lack of info!
These are recent metamorphosed CFB. They have been terrestrial since about August. I packaged them in a cardboard box, stuffed with shredded paper. I used no additional insulation, nor were they double boxed.
The newts themselves were in a small plastic container with some air holes in the lid and the aforementioned moist java moss. Temps on my end were in the 50F's, and I believe they may have been a little warmer on the receiving end - Santa Cruz, CA. They got stuck in the mail system over Veterans Day in a sorting facility in San Jose - I do not know if they were in a truck or in a building at that point.
My other shipments that I sent out in the same sort of packaging arrived fine, though to different areas of the US and with no mid journey problems. I have used Priority in the past many times and have never had a problem, but I think I am going to stick to Express from now on. I have also used styrofoam boxes inside the cardboard boxes but did not do that this time (I figured the temps would be fine but I don't think I will take that for granted again, either).
I do not know what the temps could have been while they were stuck in the San Jose sorting facility but next to dehydration, I do suspect inappropriate temperature as the next most likely culprit for the newts current condition.
Again, thanks for any suggestions. I will pass along the shelter and cooler temps recommendations to the purchaser.
Heather

Temperature may have been the issue on that Thursday (Nov. 10). It got to 72'f on Thursday and only 62'f on Friday. If stuck in a truck it would have been 15-20 degrees hotter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back