Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help!!!

Clairelou

Reaction score
My axolotl is not in his tank and I can not find him! Any ideas to where he could of went? I do not understand how he got out he is only about 5 inches long.

Jenste

Reaction score
Check everywhere - along the walls, under the tables, check near the sinks/toilets where it could be cool and moist...

Try leaving a shallow container of water out in a few spots through out the rooms...hopefully he will be able to find his way to one of them

Clairelou

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I have checked all the rooms, I only have a small flat. I did not know that it would be able to get out of the tank. I will try the water container idea, thanks.

Jenste

Reaction score
What is the set up like?
How big is the tank? Does it have a filter? Do you know the temperature, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings?

carsona246

Reaction score
Check everywhere in the tank. My axolotls are extremely good at hiding, and there have been a few times where I thought they may have possibly jumped ship, but couldn't find them anywhere. I later found them chilling in the tank after looking around my room for a few hours. They've done this a few times, and I still have no idea where they hide.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
they bury themselves! i know it sounds odd but mine have done it a few times. if you have sand substrate, try running your fingers through it a bit. i was surprised to see mine swim out of the sand one day.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Have you any cats or dogs in the house? If so check where they like to hang out as they might have moved the axolotl, if not the axolotl is probably still in the tank or in the near vicinity, they are not very good on land and probably wont get far, check along the sides of the skirting boards, it may be covered in dust bunnies so use your fingers rather than just relying on your sight. It is a good idea to keep your tank covered , if you leave the lid off to reduce the water temperature you can fit netting to prevent this occurring. Hope you find him.

Neil C

Reaction score
How close is the level of the water to the top of the tank? If it's quite close then I imagine it could well have jumped out and you'll have to find it very quickly as they dry up quick. If the water level is well below the top of the tank then it is either hiding or someone/something as taken it out. Hope you find it.

Regards Neil

Molch

Reaction score
also, depending on what kind of filter you have, it could have ended up in there. Caudates have been known to crawl into those hang-on-back filters

Clairelou

Reaction score
Check everywhere in the tank. My axolotls are extremely good at hiding, and there have been a few times where I thought they may have possibly jumped ship, but couldn't find them anywhere. I later found them chilling in the tank after looking around my room for a few hours. They've done this a few times, and I still have no idea where they hide.[/QUOT
I found him hanging at the top of a barrel ornament in his tank. I was looking everywhere and then I saw him in the reflection on the tank.:p

Neil C

Reaction score
Great news! It's never nice to find a dehydrated and fluff covered pet. I now keep water levels well below the top of tanks or pop a lid on.

Regards Neil

Jenste

Reaction score
YAY!!!! I am so happy you found him! Sneaky little devil! :p

Star

Reaction score
Great news! It's never nice to find a dehydrated and fluff covered pet. I now keep water levels well below the top of tanks or pop a lid on.

Regards Neil

I keep a lid on all my tanks for that reason and because I have a murderous/curious cat :p Only one of my axies has tried escaping though but failed so far :D

Clairelou

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone. I have lowered the water level now just incase he does decide to jump out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1