Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie-safe plastic

Alioth

Reaction score
Hello!

I asked my question in another topic allready but didn't get a lot of response. http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be.../76325-environment-enrichment-could-okay.html

So I'll try it again on here because it's very important to me and this seems like a more appropriate section to ask anyways.

I bought a soap dish with suckercups because it seems nice to me that they have extra room and space higher up in the tank. The space is allready there so it's better to use it as well:D.

The soap dish I bought is made of polypropylene. Is this an axie-safe plastic? When searching google I would say it is, but I wonder if someone has experience with it?

Thanks!

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Hello, I've done some research and polypropylene is common. House hold things we use, sandwich bags, foodservice containers and the bags you carry your fish home in. I myself used tupperware to make hides for my axies and would assume it'll be safe for you to use what you currently have.

Your idea is just like mine but I used fake plants with suction cups. My Axolotl's like to perch on them and relax :)
I actually wanted to try to make more walking/adventurous space of my aquarium, make a 2nd floor. Kinda like the idea of a ferret cage.

photo13.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo11.jpg

Star

Reaction score
Hi I've bought a few plastic things to put in my tank but I've left them in water for a week to see what effect they had. I found a couple of rubber based items that left the water with a weird film and a weird smell but I have a few regular plastic soap dishes attached to the tank sides by suckers that have posed no problem. I've put a few fake plants in and my axies love them :D they like perching on them and hiding in them :)

Attachments

• PICT0775.jpg
    PICT0775.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 400
  • PICT0763.jpg
    PICT0763.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 471

Alioth

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I feel a little more sure to add it to my tank now!
I've put the soap dish in a bucket of water for 3 days now and there's no weird film on the surface so I assume it'll be okay!
My idea comes from rodents as well :D I have rats (they're actually even beside the axolotl tank :D) and their cage is filled with different levels just like a ferret cage :) (well it is actually a ferret cage)!

Thanks for your nice pictures as well, it gives me some more ideas!!! Very very cute pictures Star and MrsGimmik!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!