Evolving axolotl?

Zvirbliukas

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Display Name
Viktorija
I leaved my two axolotls for 4 days, and now I found that, my smalll axie looks like started evolving... Can I change that? I dont thant a lizard... Now my small axie lookslike that... :/
DSCF2477.JPG

DSCF2489.JPG

DSCF2501.JPG

Labas!
(I dated a Lithuanian a few years back...remember a *few* words!)

Welcome.

I am not sure if it is morphing or just ill.
Can you tell us more about your set up and the symptoms?

Axie looked like this
DSCF2289.JPG

and now he loosed his tail, itls legs looks like longer, gills smaller, Santa(it's name) don't have a flipper beetwen his fingers...
I'm so sorry for that small vacation :/

Oh, I forgot to mention that, my roomate leavede my room with black cutrains on the window for that small vacation, so axolotls with their plants lived in the dark for that 4 days...

Oh, I forgot to mention that, my roomate leavede my room with black cutrains on the window for that small vacation, so axolotls with their plants lived in the dark for that 4 days...

Darkness wouldn't of bothered them it's light they don't like;) also are we sure it's an Axolotl? and not a Tiger Salamander? I'm not very clued up on the differences but yours just seems less axolotlish to me

Last edited:
and now he loosed his tail, itls legs looks like longer, gills smaller, Santa(it's name) don't have a flipper beetwen his fingers...
I'm so sorry for that small vacation :/

It certainly looks like your animal is morphing. I am not sure, but the gills look like they might have af ungal infection, more pictures would help. 4 days without light will have had no effect on your animals, I would look int the water quality, temperature, etc... as a cause to the animal morphing. Most Axlotl in the hobby have tiger genetic material, that might be a reason why it is morphing, how old is it?

If it is morphing, you will need to provide it with a terrestrial set up. I am sorry this is not you wanted, but I believe that when we purchase an animal we have a duty of care for it... even if things don't go as planned, which in the world of caudates, is often enough...

Yeah. Santa is definetly morphing... I puted it in smaller aquarium, with less water and an island if he wanted to just look around I don't now how is my water quality. but water looked claudy then I came home and same plants was dead, I think that causes bad water qoallity...
Santa now is realy lazy and almost don't eat.
Tempreture is fine ~19C

Hi, I hope Santa's morph goes well. You said you don't want a salamander so I guess, as much as you know doubt love Santa, it might be an idea for you to rehome the little one? Then get another axie instead. If you rehome Santa then make sure it is a fantastic home with a very knowledgeable owner. I wish you were closer as I would offer! Have a good look into the requirements so you know what to expect and can do you best for him :)

I realy make sure to get Santa good home then morphing will be over, now I really tray to help him. That should I do besides making him island? Santa is really lazy, lays all day in one place, and looks like gaving some skin infection, or thats normal?..

Santa definatly has skin infection... Look at that read fingers. That should I do? Frindging? Tea or salt baths?
He eats, not a lot but eats
DSCF2530.JPG

DSCF2521.JPG

That doesn't look like a bad infection, but you should definitely keep the animal in a tub a clean water and change it daily. The fungus should go away on it's own but if it continues to spread try adding a little salt to the tub. Salt baths with higher concentrations are very stressful and should only be considered in bad cases. Fridging shouldn't be necessary either as long as the water temperature is not abnormally high. The recent picture doesn't look like a morphing axolotl to me. It will help if you keep it in the dark and don't disturb it until it is back to normal. Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back