Sick marbled newts...?

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Senad
I'am going to do my best to explian whats happening to my marbled newts.So they both turned a more darker color(more black) and even the green got darker.There stomach has like black blotches and whenever I pick them up they tirn stiff and hard and there back legs go striaght toward there tails and they open there mouths up and then close it.After I put them back down they lossen up and dont get as stiff and hard and seem to not move alot.This has been going on for about 2-3 days and it dosen't seem to get better or worst.I think I've been giveing them too much waxworms and I want to switch there diet to bean beetles and dwarf white isopods.

The colouration isn't a problem in my opinion - my marbled newts go from being very pale to being very dark quite often.

I am not sure I understand the other part. How do you hold them? Are they ok otherwise? Or are they limp and apathetic? Why do you feel you have to pick them up at all?

Regarding waxworms, you know already that they shouldn't be a staple and that they might cause impaction. If you suspect that they've caused problems you should stop feeding them altogether. Earthworms are the best food for your newts.

When my salamander got impacted, she was limp and her hind legs were just "hanging". She pooped after several days in the fridge and was ok afterwards. I wouldn't feed waxworms again.

Last edited:
The colouration isn't a problem in my opinion - my marbled newts go from being very pale to being very dark quite often.

I am not sure I understand the other part. How do you hold them? Are they ok otherwise? Or are they limp and apathetic? Why do you feel you have to pick them up at all?

Regarding waxworms, you know already that they shouldn't be a staple and that they might cause impaction. If you suspect that they've caused problems you should stop feeding them altogether. Earthworms are the best food for your newts.

When my salamander got impacted, she was limp and her hind legs were just "hanging". She pooped after several days in the fridge and was ok afterwards. I wouldn't feed waxworms again.

No I held them because they looked fat after I lifted up there hide other then that I dont really hold them.Sooo if my newts are impacted what should I do?

Do you think they are impacted or are they just fat? Do they look bloated? Are their hind legs limp? Are they interested in food or not? How do they move?
Could you take a photo of them?
What you described in the first post, the way they feel stiff when you pick them up - I have no idea what it could be, perhaps someone else can shed some light.

If they are impacted, you could try putting them in the fridge. You will need a ventilated container, with moist paper towels and some sort of a hide (it could be made from the paper towel). Put a towel over the container so the light in the fridge doesn't disturb them. Check them in the morning and in the evening to see if they've pooped (then replace the paper towel). It would be practical to have them in separate containers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back