Fungus on gills fluffy like cotton wool, alternative treatments to fridging and bathing please

sheena22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My leucistic definitely has fungus on her gills in two places it seems to have popped up from nowhere.

Her water parameters are fine as I have just tested them, apart from a slight bit of ammonia which doesnt do damage as to the ph to my tank, but i will be doing a water change tommorrow.

What I wanted to ask is there any alternative ways of treating rather than salt bathing and fridging, because my mum doesnt agree with it at all and thinks it is stressful to the axolotl even though i have told her otherwise.

And my fridge only seems to get to 10-11 degrees centigrade cold as well which i have no idea why, maybe dodgy thermometor.

She had this before and not knowing this site at the time used salt in her water which ive come to realise is bad for them in their tank, and methylene blue, which i dont think is bad for them.

Any other ideas should i stick with methylene blue and keep her cold in her tank with frozen bottles of water? Or something different ?

Any help tonight would be much appreciated as I have to go buy the stuff tomorrow!

Thank you very much :happy:

Meth blue isn't safe for axolotls.

What is the water temperature in the tank?

The alternative you are looking for is a trip to the vet.

Fungus on the gills is often an indicator of a tank that is far too warm.

Always better to post a picture though. Folks are hesitant to answer without pictures as the risk of misdiagnosis is pretty high.

First, really narrow down on what the problem is.

For me, Pimafix worked wonderfully for saprolegnia (which came back after trying salt baths). But your axolotl might not have saprolegnia and Pimafix might be completely useless against something else.

Check descriptions here : Axolotls - Health & Diseases

It can also be useful to look up pictures of different types of problems and compare to what you're seeing, as well as posting pictures. :)

I have used Rid Fungus from Kordon on Noto's. Its all natural and safe for reef tanks. I used it on Noto's with success but I have never used it on an Axolotl. It contains Naphthoquinone from natural herbals. Useing it on Axolotls would have a risk and be totally up to you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back