HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP. I think I have poisoned my Axoltols!!!!!!!!! Please help!

HelloKitty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having a pannik because I opened my pot of earth worms this evening and found the soil was full of tiny white bugs. Now I am scared that the worms have been infected by these bugs and that my Axolotls will get sick and die.

I cant even get a picture of them they are so tiny. A piece of mashed potato that I put in for the worms seems to have tiny white eggs on them. The little bugs are just bigger tha the eggs and remind me of tiny spiders.

Please help??? Do I let the worms go and call the company I got them from to complain. All I have done to my pot of worms is feed them mashed potato and water the soil.

I don't know what the bugs are but in my composting wormery there are loads of tiny white bugs and I feed my axolotls the worms all the time to no ill effect,I do wash my worms beforehand.
You should be fine feeding your axolotls the worms if you wash them,though just in case is wait to see if anyone else posts just incase your bugs are different to mine!

Based on your description they are probably a type of soil mite. Fungus gnats would look more worm like in the larval stage and then have a flying component to the life cycle and aphids give birth to live young.

All three of these a common soil pests in houseplants and guardens, they would be no harm to your axolotl... just extra food :D

I agree with Kim, if they look like tiny white spiders then they're probably mites. They won't hurt the axolotls, but they will multiply if you feed the worms anything. They're more annoying than harmful.

Wow, this helped. I've had them in my worm bin too. I always thought I was doing something wrong.

the tiny white eggs are probably worm eggs and it means they are breeding :D

Tiny white soil bugs are usually springtails, which are a good food choice for tiny terrestrial juvies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back