Question: Just stopped eating and died?

Have any of the axolotls you have owned died from an unknown cause?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nano

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ben
In Australia I had an axolotl which I named nano and I had for about a year and she was fine during that time. I was feeding her every 3 days with frozen brine shrimp and frozen turtle mix.
2 months ago I moved to England so I gave my axolotl to my best friend who already had two in a tank. She had one casualty when she put the water too high in her tank and the lid open during the night by accident her axolotl jumped out and by morning it's skin had dried up and although it was still alive it died in the water a couple of hours later.

This didn't put me off giving my axolotl to her because I knew it was a mistake. The other day I was speaking to them and said that she had died (I was quite upset with them). They said that Nano just stopped eating and the next night died.

All I know is that they were feeding nano once every day I don't know the tank circumstances or anything much like that. I also don't know if they had over fed her.

I am just wondering how nano died. I can rule out choking on gravel because she had sand in the tank. My theories are that she was over fed and had a blockage, or it was the water quality.

I am quite annoyed with my friend at the moment. :nono:

Last edited:
im sorry for your loss Ben. It is hard to lose a loved pet.
I had 1 of my axies die over night. She was fine when I went to bed and then when i got up the next morning she was dead. I have no idea why:(

In Australia I had an axolotl which I named nano and I had for about a year and she was fine during that time. I was feeding her every 3 days with frozen brine shrimp and frozen turtle mix.
2 months ago I moved to England so I gave my axolotl to my best friend who already had two in a tank. She had one casualty when she put the water too high in her tank and the lid open during the night by accident her axolotl jumped out and by morning it's skin had dried up and although it was still alive it died in the water a couple of hours later.

This didn't put me off giving my axolotl to her because I knew it was a mistake. The other day I was speaking to them and said that she had died (I was quite upset with them). They said that Nano just stopped eating and the next night died.

All I know is that they were feeding nano once every day I don't know the tank circumstances or anything much like that. I also don't know if they had over fed her.

I am just wondering how nano died. I can rule out choking on gravel because she had sand in the tank. My theories are that she was over fed and had a blockage, or it was the water quality.

I am quite annoyed with my friend at the moment. :nono:
It's a trust issue isn't it? you put your Nano in their care trusting them,they have lost your trust.

Why couldn't they leave well enough alone? you were feeding Nano every three days for about a year and no problems but they had to go and be know alls and do better,so much for that!

Iam sorry for your loss.I have only had my Sally Axolotl for four months and I know next to nothing but I would know to follow instructions.

I've had 3 axolotls die, 2 from unknown causes and one from a possible bacterial infection.

I've read somewhere before that axies can unexpectedly pass due to genetic issues/conditions that can be passed down from generation to generation and by repeated in-breeding.

If I can find the article again, I'll post it for your reference.

It's a trust issue isn't it? you put your Nano in their care trusting them,they have lost your trust.

Why couldn't they leave well enough alone? you were feeding Nano every three days for about a year and no problems but they had to go and be know alls and do better,so much for that!

Looking after other peoples pets is always problematical and if they die in your care its very embarrassing. Animals occasionally die for no apparent reason and without a qualified person doing an autopsy(which may itself be inconclusive) you may not see a visible cause of death, so blaming a person whos care they were in is pointless, if their standard of care was initially considered acceptable to look after the axolotl it may not be their fault.

I've read somewhere before that axies can unexpectedly pass due to genetic issues/conditions that can be passed down from generation to generation and by repeated in-breeding.

If I can find the article again, I'll post it for your reference.

If you could find this please post a link, one of mine is looking really bad, I suspect inbreeding with him since he has an extra leg. Moving my betta in my community tank tomorrow and put my axie in the 1ft on my desk to feed him up and hopefully help get im better

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back