How to move axolotls..

fishcakey

Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually move axolotls from tank to container by scooping them up from the tank and leaving it be. But today I realized I picked the wrong container and the one I picked didn't have a top. So I tried to move him just by pouring the water in and on the way he got scared and jumped out onto the floor. He landed on his belly and there doesn't seem to be any injuries. He seems fine now, I picked him up easily and he is eating and pooping fine. I'm just wondering the best way to avoid this from now on. It was really traumatic for me probably more than him.

hi when mine were small enough it was first a plastic tea strainer then a plastic flour sieve as they grew. Now I gently lift them out into a container one by one and that way they seem happiest.

I always think it is best to use a tupperware container or old ice cream tub.

If careful, you don't need to lift them as such - just hold container in the tank and using your free had for gentle 'persuasion' get them to swim into the container. Once the axy is in, bring the container near to the surface and put the lid on for transferring the axy.

In my experience this method is best to eliminate stress and injury - where other methods, such as netting, carry a greater risk.

I move mine by putting a container under him and lefting him up, let others have describe here.
I move my babies with a soup spoon when they are really little and a plastic serving spoon now they are bigger.
No stress

I float my container in the surface (with a few inches of water in it) and cup my hands in the water. If they don't swim to them and sit in my hands I'll cup my hands around them and just wait a few seconds to be sure they're nice and calm.

I slowly raise my hands to the surface and then in one quick motion scoop them out and into the container. Then I wait for them to swim out of my hands. Once they're settled, I gently take the container out, place it on the floor/table/wherever I'm keeping them temporarily, and thrown a towel over them to block out light and stop any jumps.

Putting them back in the tank is the same thing in reverse. While taking your axolotls out of the water to hold is VERY bad, I always wash my hands thoroughly with warm water (NOT SOAP!) and let them sit on my hands with just my thumbs cupped over them. It's so fast that they barely notice that they were taken out of the water!

This has been the easiest way for me now that they are bigger. Using cups/etc is to cramped and stressful for them. If your guys are still little I recommend using cups or tupperware to scoop them out and just getting them used to sitting on your hand in the water. That way once they are bigger it's what they do instinctively when you put your hands in :)

He ended up jumping out when i was transferring him from one tupperware container to the other, because I had put him in the wrong. From the tank to the container and vice versa is not a problem. I have to move him from one to the other tomorrow... It's going to be slightly nerve wracking. Because they have such a small body of water and are a bit shallow

He ended up jumping out when i was transferring him from one tupperware container to the other, because I had put him in the wrong. From the tank to the container and vice versa is not a problem. I have to move him from one to the other tomorrow... It's going to be slightly nerve wracking. Because they have such a small body of water and are a bit shallow

How big is he? If you transfer him with your hands you should be able to prevent him from jumping.

Hold him like so:
cupped-hands.jpg

But with your thumbs curved over and touching each other (hovering above his head but not touching him). His head should be facing your fingertips, tail hanging in the space between your wrists. Place the two containers next to each other so that there is as little distance as possible. As you go to scoop him, if he freaks out and struggles don't try to restrain him. Let him swim away and calm down, then try again.

Also, remember to always was your hands thoroughly with ONLY warm water before doing this!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back