Illness/Sickness: I don't know what's wrong. Please help !

Atherose

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've had my first lotty ever for about five months now. He hasn't eaten in the last five days.
Normally I would just put something in front of his nose and he gobbles it right up.

So far I've tried blood worms, earth worms, ox heart and beef heart (all I have access to where I live, and the store who stocks beef heart for fish has recently run out and thus so have I) but no response at all. Sometimes he would even back away from it.

He's been through some heat in the Aussie Srping/Summer, but I manage his tank at about 21 to 23 degrees most days despite the heat.

I recently put some dechlorinated water and some anti-algae stuff in his water and I think this may have been it, so I added a second filter (both are low power flow so as to not disturb him) to clear it up after the first time he wouldn't eat.

There are no rocks big enough for him to have swallowed in his tank, there are live plants and a few larger snails though.

I change 10-20 % of his water weekly and keep frozen bottles in his tank to keep it cool.
I don't know what to do, I am so worried about him, any help is welcome.
Should I do a 100% water change or..?
I'm so new to this, I'm just freaking out because I love him so.

Hi dont worry its normal for them not to eat for a while my female axolotl went 2 weeks without eating when your axolotls ready to eat it will will eat try another live earthworm in 5 days :happy::happy: hope this helps :D

Could be heat stress from the temperature changes, I'm not sure, but as I like to say sometimes - if all else fails, fridge em :p
By the way, this is what I read about snails:

"Snails are only useful for eating algae (if you don't like algae). Apart from that, they're often more trouble than they're worth in my opinion. For one thing, algae remove nitrate from the water (nitrate is the end product of the biological aspect of filtration in an aquarium). So by removing the algae you're allowing more nitrate to build up than is necessary, and although not strictly toxic, in high concentrations it can greatly affect water chemistry (perhaps most importantly, oxygen content). Some snails will readily try to nibble on the mucus produced by axolotl skin, and this usually irritates the axolotl in question. There are other reasons too - they can act as parasite vectors (they can carry one stage of a parasite)."
- Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Hope that helps, good luck. :happy:

Ohh, thank you both,
I will fridge him if it gets any worse, but physically it seems fine.
That's interesting about the snails, thank you so much, there are only three snails in a very large tank though..
Might just put them in the other tank for a few days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back