Question about changing substrate

Kribby

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Kim
I have been thinking about switching my fire belly efts to a coconut fibre substrate mix instead of brown paper towels, but I was wondering how you tell when the coconut fibre is dirty and needs changing. Or what a proper changing regime should be.

I admit I am much better with the aquatic end of things :p

Thats a good question! I've just got some red efts and as they are tiny still they are in a small viv with coconut substrate. They only went in today, so I suppose I dont need to worry yet :D but I'd be interested in what people have to say as well :happy:

I'm using only a thin layer, which I change every month, but every two months shouldn't be a problem. It all depends on how many animals you're keeping.

I use a mix of coco-fiber, wood chips and top soil. I change it when it starts to look very black and "compacted". Hard to explain, but you know it when you see it. I only change the substrate every 6 months or so. Once you get used to the different food sources needed, you may find that you like terrestrial setups. The maintenance is actually easier.

but but... where does the poo go? Surely it must still be there o_O;

I have about 7 efts per container right now.

If it's a naturalistic setup, the poop quickly decays, just like it does in nature. If you put in some top soil or leaf litter, this accelerates the decay. If you have large animals, you can see and scoop out the poo, but for efts you'll never see it. It also helps to have a big-enough container. How big is the container? I would recommend a container larger than a shoebox for 7 efts.

I've got 6 efts in a viv 18inches x 12inches, is that big enough? I've got a 3 foot tank I could use, but I was worried it would be too big and they wouldnt be able to find the food. Would the 3ft tank be better? I can move them no worries :)

I was under the belief that you could never have too big of a tank. Think about it this way, in this wild, these animals roam alot further than a 3ft tank, and they still manage to find food.

If you are nervous about them not finding food, try and place it relatively close to them. They are impecable hunters, so you really shouldn't have a problem.

And as for substrate, I also go about 6 months per change, because mine either poop in their water dishes, or right on their dirt in a place I can see. If you take the time to study your tank, you will be able to tell when something looks weird with the substrate, such as a piece of poop sitting on top of the dirt.

I've got 6 efts in a viv 18inches x 12inches, is that big enough? I've got a 3 foot tank I could use, but I was worried it would be too big and they wouldnt be able to find the food. Would the 3ft tank be better? I can move them no worries :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back