Tuna Fish

Star

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Star
I'm just wondering, does anyone know if this is nice and fatty for axies?

Since it is an endangered species, just like our axies, I wouldn't recommend to feed it. Not for the axies, nor for yourself...

Fat isn't what makes a food good for axolotls. To fatten them up they just need to be fed regularly. Get some worms!

Apart from the issues commented by Alioth, tuna is a salt water species whereas axolotls are exclusively fresh water, so the salt contents and various elements are quite different. Also, vertebrate muscle is not easily and fully digested by most caudates, it´s way too caloric and nutritionally incomplete. In other words, it´s a completely unnatural food that provides very few benefits and could produce a variety of problems. Stick to earthworms and other invertebrates, that´s their correct diet.

The problem is he won't eat earthworms, he won't eat gillies, he won't eat wax worms, he won't eat anything other than the occasional cube of frozen bloodworms at the moment. He has gone off everything else. His weight has plummeted and he is really sick. I just wanted to know if it was a good source to feed him up.

Tuna is loaded with heavy metals like mercury, nickle and cobalt. It should never be fed to amphibians under any circumstances.

Have you tried prawns mine love them also someone gave me a tip on worm as mine struggle to eat them she told me to clean them under a warm tap it kills the worm and gives it a sort of cooked smell it worked for her axie so im goin to give it a try might help yours hope it does fingers crossed hope it gets better soon its not nice when your pets are ill :(

Do you have access to axolotl larvae? I haven't had many reluctant feeders (usually they're reluctant to stop) but almost every time I have had one they can't resist tasty little axolotl larvae!

Not at the moment, my female is mature enough but I'm not keen on putting my budding male in with her yet. He isn't 1 until March so I'd rather wait for a while :) Plus I doubt I could cull the little beauties! He's starting to perk up a bit so I'll just give him a cube or two of bloodworm a day and try him on cooked earthworm in a couple of days :)

I feed mine small slivers of thawed freshwater Trout and Talapia all the time without any problems.

I'll get some at the weekend and try him on them, thanks :) Seems to be attracted to smelly stuff (except the gillies) so fingers crossed :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back