Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amano shrimp...

Jesper

Reaction score
Was wondering if you guys are using amano shrimp(Cardinia multidentata} and if you find them to be as shy as I do?

I keep two of them together with 29 or so red cherry shrimp(Neocaridina heteropoda} and some snails. The RCS spend plenty of time out in the open in daylight but the amano are hiding constantly...

Do you think they will get less shy if I add more amanis?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only had 1 amano shrimp in a large tank that contained (for several months) no other animals. The shrimp was rarely visible, always hiding. Very shy. I don't know if adding more will help, but I suspect that this is just their nature.

suztor

Reaction score
Compared to Ghost/Glass Shrimp and Bamboo Shrimp they are super active, I have one that I've had for nearly 2 years now and he is always out and about. He's pretty bold and stands his ground against other shrimp and fish.

moinkable

Reaction score
I keep about 3 of them in my firebelly setup. I find them to be super active. I had red cherries in there too but I think they became snacks. Amanos are better for caudates than red cherries in my opinion, because red cherries are tropical and amanos are not. Also, amanos are bigger and less likely to get snacked upon, if you are trying to avoid that.

evut

Reaction score
Amano shrimps sound great... but they go through their larval stage in the sea so they won't reproduce in captivity like red cherry shrimps. I would consider this a major disadvantage.

otolith

Reaction score
I keep amano and cherry shrimp in most of my tanks. They are definitely more active in tanks with lots of moss and plant cover. They are much faster than the cherry shrimp, my Noto spends most of his day chasing them around the tank.

My amanos were gravid for months and eventually released the eggs in the planted freshwater tank they were in. I had a small cloud of zoes that died within about a day of hatching. It seems like it takes quite a bit of work to breed them successfully.

Jesper

Reaction score
I have now had the amanos for a couple of weeks. Their tanks have loads of algae tufts to hide in and around so there have never been a lack of places to hide. I suspect that my amanos just hid due to the presence of fish in the pet shop tank. The red cherries were captive bred and kept in separate tank with breeder and they have been very active and not hid at all since I got them.

Anyway, I threw in some lettuce in the tank the other day and promptly forgot about it. A couple of days later I check in on the tank and find my amanos have turned greenish in colour and very active, no hiding at all. Tank has green shrimp and snail poop all over it. Not only that but there are snail eggs all everywhere and all the adult female red cherries are carrying eggs. It would appear they all like lettuce.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1