Newts and salamanders

Honda015

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finished setting up my vivatium a couple weeks ago. Luck has it my uncle found a spotted salamander so he is in there now and looks to be doin okay. In the aquatic side or the tank I want to put newts how much water do they need? And other bits of info I would need to know for starting with both the animals.

Welcome!

In general, it's usually a bad idea to mix different species of amphibians in a single tank. You might want to rethink that part of the plan. Be sure to keep the tank in the coldest part of the house. Be sure to read the FAQ and articles on Caudata Culture.

What about an aquatic frog or things of that nature?

Honda, when we say not to species mix, that means pretty much everything. Where to begin... there are so many issues when it comes to species mixing. I suppose the first being that you risk giving one a disease, parasite, or other nasty from the other species.

Next issue is that there have been tons, and tons, and TONS of first hand acounts of species mixing disasters. Really, these are predatory animals, and if it looks like food, smells like food, moves like food, probably is food.

There also might be agressive from the different species. One may be larger than the other and feel like king of the tank, so to speak, and bully everything else in there.

Next thing to think about it natural environment. Unless you have had lots of experience, I'm sure you would be unaware of what species come from the same locality. By this I mean, unless you do hours of research, I find it hard to believe that a frog you want to put in with your salamander is from the same geological area. The other thing about geological area is that it determines what kind of appropriate housing is crucial for a specific animal. An example, if you own a newt that is fully aquatic all year round in their natural habitat, and you place it in a terrestrial tank... you are going to have some serious issues my friend.

I guess the last and final thing I want to mention is toxicology of these animals. Some salamanders have poison glands that can, and will be toxic to other species. Same goes for frogs.

Best advice, do not species mix!! Stick with what you have in one tank. :)
If you wish to add more, create a serperate tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back