Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand or substrate at what age for a baby axie?

dad of axle

Reaction score
Hello sorry if this question has already been asked, I have a three month old axolotl in a 3ft long tank, The place where i bought it from six weeks ago advised me not to put anything on the base on the tank because the baby axolotls find it difficult to find food at first. THey also said that yougn axolotlos have a habit of eating the sand or small pebbles.

So i am wondering whether my axolotl is old enough now to adjust to something like sand or river stones, and should i put a small terrcota pot in there to place his food in?
so that he learns to go to one spot for food.

Another person suggested it is a good idea to train my axolotl to eat from my hand? is it ok to do this?

thanks form a beginner in the world of axolotl parenting
dad of axle

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use any substrate with my juvies until they're ~10cm.

You definitely don't want any substrate that is small enough to be eaten, but large enough to become lodged in the intestine. With adults, this is gravel/pebbles, but small axolotls obviously have a smaller intestine so even particles as small as sand, which is appropriate for adults, may be dangerous for larvae or juveniles.

dad of axle

Reaction score
Thank you for your response, my axololtl is only 3 months old but about 15 cm long - so probably still a juvenile. I might wait a bit longer before i intoriduce sand to the tank based on what you have written and the posts on the other threads . thanks so much

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1