Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm Issues with the Weather

taylorw

Reaction score
So in the winter around where I live, "warm" is considered -10*F. Consequently, no one sells earthworms because it's so cold they don't survive. I wasn't aware that :( I just assumed that sporting goods stores sold them year round.

So here is my dilemma. My axies, Quint and Hooper, do not like pellets. I've tried, and failed, many times. They won't touch anything but earthworms anymore :( spoiled piggies. So what should I do all winter? I'm freaking out :( because I can't find worms anywhere anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? They ate bloodworms as juveniles, but now they just ignore them, same as pellets. Anything I can do? Can I have worms shipped to me somehow? Keep in mind the temperature here :(

modestum

Reaction score
Hey, i dont know where you are in the US but i would recommend setting up a worm farm in your house, i use a 5 gallon bucket half filled with soil (w/ no chemicals), with a lid with a few hair holes, and then i just add vegetable scraps.

i buy my worms online from unclejims worm farm but a simple google search will reveal lots of vendors selling them, i would ask them about shipping in cold weather!

Hope that helps!

danchristopher

Reaction score
How long have they gone without eating an earthworm so far? While they snub other food now it's possible that if they get hungry enough they will probably eat anything...though this is probably not a very desirable solution.

It's a shame the earthworms don't survive, even here in Sydney they're sometimes hard to come by in winter because apparently they bury deep in the ground (and our winter average is about 15 degrees celsius).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!