Stuck or not stuck

dad of axle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello I am a beginner to the world of axolotl's and not sure how ummm smart they are.
My Axolotl (Axle) mangaed to get into a very tight fitting space inside a water ornament and didnt seem to know how to get out. I lifted the ornament out of the tank and he swiftly exited from the tight spot. so I was wandering was i overpanicking or my baby axle (just three months) , was stuck or not stuck.

so how do i know what space is too small for may axle?
should I remove the ornament from the tank and replace it with something else?

axle is now sitting no where near the tight fitting space at the moment he is at the other end of the tank. Will he remember that he got stuck once and not go in there again?

I dont know how smart these wonderful little creatures are.

thanks from Dad of axle

I would remove it. Axolotls aren't the most graceful, and could get stuck.

I second that. While he may have freed himself this time - in a few weeks when he is bigger it could be a different story.

Yeah I'd remove it or block the entrance until he is too big to get into it. I have a little volcano in my axie tank and one day I came in to find Sagan's back legs and tail sticking out of the hole at the top, wiggling.

I had to lift the volcano so he could swim out (luckily he wasn't too wide to fit through the hole, just too long to turn around and get out) and stuffed the hole at the top with some filter sponge for a few months until they were big enough that they wouldn't be able to get in no matter how badly they wanted!

I don't know their IQ but they definitely gravitate towards potential hiding places :p

Ornament has been removed and I need to make some safer hiding places in the tank for axle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back