Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No heater?

natjobe

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if I take my heater out will the temp fluctuation's effect my axoltols? It's really cold outside now and during the day while we are not home, and at night, we turn the heat down alot and it gets to around 15-16 degrees which I know is okay for them but I'm just not sure about the constant temperature changes. Also the heater I have in the tank now, even at it's lowest, is still keeping the tank around 20-21, and I feel this is to warm, hence wanting to take the heater out. Or should I just buy a new smaller heater to keep at a constant?
So thankful for this forum! Thanks again!

carsona246

Reaction score
if the tank temp doesn't swing that much during the day, there may be no need for a heater period. I'd take the heater out, and monitor the temp change over the day. So long as it isn't changing temp rapidly, it should be fine. Depending on the size of the tank, the temp should remain relatively stable, and if it does change, it should take a while. I know when I turn my fan off my 40 breeder it takes a few hours for the temp to change 1 degree.

natjobe

Reaction score
I realize that it is a cold water species, and I have read all that. But I thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I was only using it to keep the temperature from fluctuating to much. I live in Canada and its pretty cold right now and as I said I just to keep it from going all over the place, I just don't want to stress them out.

Chirple

Reaction score
Do you have a thermometer in the tank ?

How much does the water itself change in temperature ?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A 55 gallon tank will take a LONG time to cool down, even if the air temperature does.

natjobe

Reaction score
well I kept the heater out all night, it only dropped a degree, thought it would do a more drastic change. I actually just bought a plastic thermometer and it did'nt seem right so I put a glass one in from one of my other tanks and it shows the temp 2 degrees lower. I'm going by the glass one now, seems more accurate. So according to the glass one the temp is 18 degrees. much better would still like it down another degree or two!

natjobe

Reaction score
My tank is finally at a nice cool 16 degrees. They look much happier!! Got my shrimp in there today. hoping a few make it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1