Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think she got sick!

JKoz

Reaction score
My spotted salamander has been doing really well, bright and happy, active, all that, and then she spent a few days curled up in her hole - that is not unusual. But she pooped in there, which she never does, and then sat in it for a couple days, all the while coming out every now and then and eating nightcrawlers.

Now she won't eat a nightcrawler aven though she has not eaten in a week, she seems lethargic and I keep the tank just below 70C but put some chiller packs in there which she immediately went to an lounged on all day and night.

Is she sick?

I got some waxworms becaue I think she was a bit on the thin side gonna get redworms today.

Should I fridge her?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would not be concerned about the poop thing. Not uncommon for these types of salamanders to poop in their burrow...while they remain in it as well. Was the poop normal looking? i.e., like a brown football shape that is firm?

I wouldn't fridge her based on these observations. Not eating for a week is not a big deal...especially if the animal has been dining on large nightcrawlers. Just below 70F is a good temperature - if everything else with husbandry is appropriate.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're really adept at sensing the changing seasons. Her lack of eating could be a response to the shortening photoperiod that happens in winter.

I had a python that I used to keep in an interior closet, no change in photoperiod, temp, nothing. Yet every October, like clockwork, she would stop eating and wouldn't eat again til March.

JKoz

Reaction score
Okay, now she has been sitting in her water for over 30 hours.

I misted her cage, ice packs are providing lots of moisture, so.....

What is with that?!?!!?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!