Axolotl thankmates

Ivo Katrafilov

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hi,

I'm a manager of the only exotic animal exhibition in Bulgaria. For years I read the forum and finally decided to write.

I am interested can i keep together in big aqua-terrarium, Axolotls and adult ambystomas such A. mavortium/tigrinum, without problems?

Sorry for my crappy English.

Best Regards

Generally we advise against mixing species. Axolotl can be rather snappy and they view anything as potential food.

Thanks for the reply. We mix other terrarium animals with success and even breed them in mixed terrariums. But in this case I'll listen the advice.

Best Regards

I would definitely not keep tiger salamanders in a semi-aquatic setup, especially one that is deep enough for axolotls. Tigers are not the best swimmers, and they may easily drown.

The man who brought them to us, has kept them in an aquarium without a land almost a month. He is aquarist not terrarist.

I have seen a few morphed tigers kept aquatically lately in other forums. I recently got two that had been kept aquatically, but now they are happily living on land.

I have seen a few morphed tigers kept aquatically lately in other forums. I recently got two that had been kept aquatically, but now they are happily living on land.

Did they have islands to rest on, or shallow water where they could stand on the bottom while keeping their heads above the surface? If it was deep water with islands, did the tigers dive to the bottom to hunt? I'd like to know more about how they behave in an aquatic setup, just how aquatic they can go, and what they do when given the choice between land with a substrate they can burrow in, shallow water and deep water.

I don't keep tigers, though I'd like to get some at some point, but I've never risked my fire salamanders in deep water in case they drowned, and I created a system for them where they have a water dish made from a plastic storage box that's partitioned with a false bottom so that they can only access a couple of inches of water depth, but the entire reservoir is about 12 litres and fully circulated and filtered with an airlift and gravel. I have a lot of animals to take care of, and using filtered water dishes with large reservoirs means that I don't have to change the water in them every day.

Mine where, I believe kept aquatic with a small land area. The ones I have seen on another site seem to be fully aquatic. Its not something I would want to do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back