Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often to Spotted Salamanders shed skin, and what is it like?

JKoz

Reaction score
I have a spotted salamander, for about two years, but the first year and a half, she lived happily in the substrated without much interaction with humans at all.

Now that she has a different setup and has become part of the family, I am observing her every day, so I have noticed her by not eating, looking sluggish, and going 'to the spa' as I call it - sitting in her water for like almost 48 hours straight, despite the nice moist areas of her enclosure.

Does it have something to do with shedding? :confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Probably. I've noticed my tigers like to soak just before they shed.

The shed kind of looks like a little saran-wrap salamander. You may find them occasionally, but often they're eaten just as soon as they're shed.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Even if the soaking in water is to facilitate shedding, which i agree is a possibility, i´d be concerned about what you are describing. What is the enclosure like now? This species is so fossorial and secretive that the fact that you can observe the animal daily makes me think that perhaps the enclosure doesn´t meet its requirements or perhaps the animal is stressed.
Post a picture if you can, just to check.

JKoz

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the posts and concerns. :p

I just meant it was not like last time where she was under substrate and for weeks I didn't see her. When she sees me I don't think she is scared beause she ussually comes out of her hide to see if I have food. It is so cute.

She has two great hides, a tunnel under a rock that she dug herself, and I put a dark foam sheet over the glass outside of it so it is really dark. She also has a pipe to hide in, but that has been under construction for the last few days because it has poop in it.

She also hides under another piece of dark foam that is actually in the cage - not as natural but she seems to like it.

????? Someone mentioned they poop in thier hides and she did but it didn't seem to be the normal football she does, I was just thinking it dissolved with the water I spray every now and then and she smushed it around. ?????

How often do Spotted Salamanders shed???

So, what do you think??? :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1