Question: Hide Sizes?

Carl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking on eBay at some of the hides for sale which look great but what sort of size should I be looking for to accommodate axolotls?

Cheers,

Carl

All of my hides are at least 4 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches tall. And the smallest at those parameters they still have trouble with sometimes (partially because I have fatties that don't know how to turn themselves around properly). As for deep, well, probably try to find them at least 10 long so that they can fit most of their body in there. I find ceramic flower pots work well, and my guys love them.

There are some AWESOME terracotta pots which are about 10cm wide across the opening and about 15cm wide in total. They're great. You can even put plants on them and make them grow. Inca and Azzi love theirs. They have one each now :D

I used some polished granite and made caves, they like them alot. I also have a ceramic ancient looking vase from the pet store, actually out of one of my other tanks, and they love that too. I am going to take pics today and post of my tank and axies, so I'll try to get some good pics of their hiding spots! :)

I bought a large sort of "fake rock" thing from the pet shop (looks better than it sounds). It has two entries and both of my babies love hiding in there. Once they outgrow it, I will probably go with terracotta flower pots.

I have a old urn style terrocotta pot thats about 20cm long and 10cm wide, they curl up in that with there heads at the entrance. Because it only has one entrance they feel more secure. My other pot had 2 entrances and they didnt like it compared. So i had to invest in another pot because they kept fighting over it. the new one looks like an axolotl head and mouth :) and can fit like 3 axies in it easily, as its 12 inches long and 2 inches wide :)
and 3 inches high

Hello I had a bit of a scare with a tank ornament that was given to me and my axle getting what i thought was stuck in it, but probably having now looked at it after take it out of the tank realise he wasnt.

But i di have one good hide which is a plastic/log which came from a budget 2 dollar shop in adelaide called "cheap as chips". ( about 5 cm circum and 15 cm long)

This is something that my axle will have for a lifetime. I bought the only one in the shop but they are a chain store so I am going to see how many hides i can unearth for my axle. I fiugure it would be good to have at least 3 in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back