Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where to buy Axolotls?

Bevi1019

Reaction score
So after doing a heavy amount of research into these little guys I finally started to set up my tank. Going to make sure I can cycle and get the conditions right and maintain it for awhile before getting a pair of Axies. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a good source when I'm ready to purchase them. The only site i found really was *link removed* and to be honest the site rubbed me the wrong way. I know there are breeders on the forums here as well. Just want to find a reliable source. I live in New England if that makes a difference. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

JessKB

Reaction score
That other site is crazy over priced. There is almost always axolotl larvae or eggs for sale here in the classifieds section. That's the best place to get them.

Bevi1019

Reaction score
Ooo excellent I didn't even realize there was a classified section on the forum, I will definitely go that route. Thank you!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just as a reminder, linking to commercial sites is not allowed on the forum. Best of luck in your hunt for a slimy little friend!

esn

Reaction score
I don't recommend the two main online sellers of axolotls at all. I've heard bad things about them (Ward's and the one you listed). However, there is a person shipping axolotl juvies in the U.S. right now on the classifieds. I just placed an order with them a few days ago.

renaelafae

Reaction score
I don't know where in New England you are, but I know a place on the Maine/New Hampshire border, it where I bought my two. :)

Jenste

Reaction score
I don't know where in New England you are, but I know a place on the Maine/New Hampshire border, it where I bought my two. :)

I live in RI but we have a condo in Freedom New Hampshire and are going to be going up this winter....can you either post or PM the name of the petsore and the town it is in?

Jenste

Reaction score
I don't recommend the two main online sellers of axolotls at all. I've heard bad things about them (Ward's and the one you listed). However, there is a person shipping axolotl juvies in the U.S. right now on the classifieds. I just placed an order with them a few days ago.

I haven't ordered from Ward's but I have ordered from the other place because no where in my state or the neighboring borders sell axolotls....and I will say that aside from being very pricey, my axolotl arrived in really good condition.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Right here on the forums would be the best place! I've heard horror stories about those big commercial sites.

DRJplec

Reaction score
When you say over priced shop by me sells gold axolotl for £50 each does that sound right to you

Thanks

Rhys

danchristopher

Reaction score
When you say over priced shop by me sells gold axolotl for £50 each does that sound right to you

Thanks

Rhys

That sounds excessive to me, but I think it really depends on where you're located and how common it is to find [golden] axolotls around the place.
Here in Australia they are sold in many pet shops and average $30-$40 (which is around 20-25 pounds these days) from my experience. I paid $35 for my golden albino. But probably someone in the UK would have a much better idea than me!

Kalicosray

Reaction score
I don't know where in New England you are, but I know a place on the Maine/New Hampshire border, it where I bought my

I am currently looking to get a axolotl- i live in ME so any suggestions would really be appreciated

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1