Sad to be in California...

Heyeliza

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in Taiwan for a 4 day business trip last week and saw an axolotyl at a night market for the first time in my life! I was mesmerized! I spoke no Mandarin and couldn't even ask what animal it was! I researched and researched "prehistotiric fish with limbs" and finally came across the name! It's not a fish!
It would be amazing to own one but unfortunately, I'm in California. I'm a board certified registered veterinary nurse in CA, and I honestly don't remember coming across this animal before! How beautiful! I've worked 10+ years in a vet hospital and seen many ferrets come through without a permit. I'm considering applying for one but it sounds like it's going to be a miracle to get one.
Thank you all for the posts, I shall live live my dream through your galleries. Keep posting those pictures!

Looks like it's time to relocate!

Just kidding. But rest assured, there are still plenty of cool salamanders you can keep in Cali.

Welcome to the forum!

At my side of the world even worse all salamanders species are illegal and banned. People can only buy and keep from the black market....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back